IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24bit/96kHz FLAC to 16bit/44.1kHz via Audition with Triangular dither?
MilMascaras
post Dec 11 2011, 21:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84368

Hello Folks:
I have quite a few high resolution flacs, in 24bit/96Khz, (ie HDTracks purchases), and occasionally have need to convert these to 16bit/44.1kHz for CD compilations or portable devices that can't handle 24bit:
(ie AirTunes/Airport/AppleTV2).
Being Mac based, I use xACT, XLD, Max, and Adobe Audition to capture/encode/manipulate my audio library.

At this time, I am using Adobe Audition to convert the 24bit/96kHz source files to 16bit/44.1 kHz, using the "Save As" function, and choosing the convert sample type choice to 44.1 kHz Stereo, 16-bit (Triangular Dither).
Is this a valid/correct choice using the tools I have available?

(PS: The output is WAV, and then I might do final conversion to ALAC via XLD for my iPhones/iPods).
I still treasure my original hi-rez tracks, but enjoy the process for making custom compilations, etc, and hope to improve my methodologies. )

Thank you for your feedback/consultation/corrections.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AndyH-ha
post Dec 12 2011, 09:28
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24222

If the material was recorded at 24 bit, and kept at 24 bit, it is quite possible no dither was ever applied.

If you, or anyone else, can actually hear a difference, regardless of the type of dither used (after converting to 16 bit), that does not depend on some special circumstances, such as selecting a section between tracks and turning the volume up really high (much too high for listening to the music), it would be interesting to learn about it. Almost certainly, if you just convert to 16 bit with no dither, it will sound exactly the same as any dithering you can use -- except perhaps one that applies so much noise in the lower frequencies that you can hear the dither noise itself on low level passages.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 08:38