IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24bit/96kHz FLAC to 16bit/44.1kHz via Audition with Triangular dither?
MilMascaras
post Dec 11 2011, 21:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84368

Hello Folks:
I have quite a few high resolution flacs, in 24bit/96Khz, (ie HDTracks purchases), and occasionally have need to convert these to 16bit/44.1kHz for CD compilations or portable devices that can't handle 24bit:
(ie AirTunes/Airport/AppleTV2).
Being Mac based, I use xACT, XLD, Max, and Adobe Audition to capture/encode/manipulate my audio library.

At this time, I am using Adobe Audition to convert the 24bit/96kHz source files to 16bit/44.1 kHz, using the "Save As" function, and choosing the convert sample type choice to 44.1 kHz Stereo, 16-bit (Triangular Dither).
Is this a valid/correct choice using the tools I have available?

(PS: The output is WAV, and then I might do final conversion to ALAC via XLD for my iPhones/iPods).
I still treasure my original hi-rez tracks, but enjoy the process for making custom compilations, etc, and hope to improve my methodologies. )

Thank you for your feedback/consultation/corrections.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AndyH-ha
post Dec 12 2011, 00:49
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24222

This goes back to the early Syntrillium days. Cool Edit has always done very good sample rate conversions. Doctrine has been that no one can hear any difference by increasing the filter quality setting by the time it reaches 250. Setting it higher makes the run take longer, which may be on little consequence in light of the increased CPU power over the past 15 years, but it does not change what one will hear.

Of course, this being the place for ABX tests, everyone should know they can test this for themselves. I settled on
dither depth 0.5
p.d.f. shaped triangular
noise shaping C1
because objectively it adds measurably less noise than many other choices, a difference I could hear at very high amplification levels, but there probably are exceeding few circumstances, if any, where other reasonable combinations make an audible difference at real listening levels.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 01:02