IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

[TOS #8 and #7] WASAPI vs ASIO vs DirectSound
JimH
post Dec 10 2011, 21:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2588

Is discussion of real world experience with different output modes forbidden?

Not everything can be reduced to ABX blind tests. Which woman is more beautiful, for example.

Not all ears are created equal. Nor is all music.

We don't elect our political leaders with blind tests.

Opinion matters.

[Garf: TOS7 violation removed]
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Canar
post Dec 12 2011, 22:19
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 2796

Bit-perfect vs. non-bit-perfect is not audible; there is not one iota of scientific evidence to back the hypothesis that the two are necessarily audibly different. Arguing that DirectSound is inferior to ASIO/WASAPI because it is not bit-perfect is a broach of Terms of Service 8 unless proper listening tests proving this point are provided.

This has nothing to do with subjective opinion. This has to do with verifiable, scientific, objective proof.

This post has been edited by Canar: Dec 12 2011, 22:23

--------------------
You cannot ABX the rustling of jimmies.
No mouse? No problem.
+Quote Post
monkey
post Dec 12 2011, 23:17
Post #3

Monkey's Audio developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 298

Bit-perfect vs non-bit-perfect is objective. It's measurable and repeatable. And in the case of DTS or AC3, is the difference between music and white noise.

The reliability or stability of different audio outputs is also objective. It can be measured and repeated.

QUOTE (Canar @ Dec 12 2011, 22:19) *
Arguing that DirectSound is inferior to ASIO/WASAPI...

I don't believe I'm arguing. I'm trying to share some of the things I have learned through the years.
+Quote Post
Canar
post Dec 12 2011, 23:22
Post #4

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 2796

QUOTE (monkey @ Dec 12 2011, 14:17) *
And in the case of DTS or AC3, is the difference between music and white noise.
This is not a listening use-case. The AC3/DTS case is an unusual edge case where an audio output is being used as a digital signal carrier.

For the case of listening to music (ie. not the AC3/DTS case), there is no evidence that DirectSound sounds different (to humans) than ASIO/WASAPI. Measurable differences are beyond the scope of what I'm discussing. I'm discussing human-perceptible changes in audio output. Barring extreme edge cases, this still holds true. Counselling people to use ASIO/WASAPI because it "sounds better" without evidence is in contradiction of the Terms of Service and is generally pointless.

If you comply with the Terms of Service, there's no risk involved, JimH. I have taken no action regarding you other than moving one questionable thread out of the Recycle Bin. Personally, I tend to deal with matters through discussion, not through moderator action.

This post has been edited by Canar: Dec 12 2011, 23:29

--------------------
You cannot ABX the rustling of jimmies.
No mouse? No problem.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 19:16