IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

How accurate are programs that detect and fix Mp3 errors?
FrgNdTd
post Nov 24 2011, 03:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 95007

I scanned my music library with both Mp3test and Mp3val. Both programs detected different errors in various files. I recently ripped an album with foobar2000 that was ripped with minor errors, neither program detected these when scanned. How accurate are programs that are intended to detect errors and what does fixing these errors accomplish as far as audio quality?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Dec 8 2011, 21:40
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

I scanned my music library with both Mp3test and Mp3val.
Those programs look at the MP3 file structure. They can't tell you if there was a problem with the ripped-data fed-into the MP3 encoder. If you get a ripping error that makes a "click", "tick", or skip in the sound, your MP3 encoder will happily encode that defective sound and the MP3 file won't have errors... It will just have bad sound.

This is similar to digitally recording a vinyl LP. The clicks & pops are defects in the audio, but those clicks & pops are not data-errors. Or, it's like an error on a spreadsheet. If you type the wrong number into your spreadsheet, there is nothing wrong with the file.

Fixing the MP3 file won't fix the audio problem. But, if you can't hear any problems caused by ripping errors, it's no big deal. Especially if you are encoding to a lossy format like MP3. Tiny details you can't hear are often thrown-out during MP3 endoding anyway. wink.gif

Both programs detected different errors in various files.

I'll add another MP3 tool.. And, I've had similar issues... I sometimes use VBRFix. I've had errors found by Mp3Val that it can't fix (missing XING header???). After running VBRFix, Mp3Val still finds an error (number of bytes???), but it can fix it the 2nd time. i don't know where these errors came from... Maybe an older version of LAME???

I have not tried Mp3test.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Dec 8 2011, 21:40
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 06:01