IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Listen to dithering algorithms used out there, "The Great Dither Shootout", link
KikeG
post May 8 2003, 15:38
Post #1

WinABX developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 137

http://www.24-96.net/dither/

Here you can download examples of different dither types available at proffesional industry. The samples are amplified so that the dither noise is easily audible. You can also check using a FFT view the different noise shaping profiles used.

SSRC or FB2K dithering is not available, but If I had space enough to host the files, I could upload equivalent test samples to compare, when I had some time.

According to the available pool results, the best dither without doubt seems to be MegaBitMax Ultra. I fully agree with this, even when SSRC strong ATH noiseshaping would be among the best ones. The famous Apogee UV dithering would not wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
floyd
post May 29 2003, 05:49
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2332

so megabitmax is only available in some program for mac? no windows implementation (other than the time-limited demo)?
+Quote Post
krabapple
post Mar 8 2007, 18:26
Post #3

Member No.: 10538

The 24-bit original reference file seems not to be working any more. And when I download and open it with Audition, it's silence. The other two reference files look/sound OK.

This post has been edited by krabapple: Mar 8 2007, 18:30
+Quote Post
Kees de Visser
post Mar 8 2007, 23:51
Post #4

Member No.: 22220

QUOTE (krabapple @ Mar 8 2007, 18:26) *
The 24-bit original reference file seems not to be working any more. And when I download and open it with Audition, it's silence. The other two reference files look/sound OK.
The music is at a very low level. Did you try to add gain (say 60 dB) to it ? Seems to work fine here.
The level is so low that the signal uses in fact only 7 bits (of 16). Increasing the monitor gain isn't quite fair, since dither is supposed to be inaudible, around the threshold of hearing. It can be interesting to find out where your "dither" threshold is. There is probably no need to make the noise perceptually quieter than that.

This post has been edited by Kees de Visser: Mar 8 2007, 23:52
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 19:38