Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New record player suggestions?
tinpanalley
post Nov 14 2011, 18:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43262

Hello,
My old turntable might finally be dead. I'm wondering what to buy and have no idea so I thought you guys might be able to offer me some suggestions.

Here's some criteria and things I'm looking for...

- I only play jazz, pop vocalists, pop/rock records at home on my stereo system. This isn't for professional use at all.
- I do want the best my money can buy, which means I'm not someone who wants to "just listen to my records" either in any crappy quality. The turntable has to do its job well and in the best way possible (belt drive vs direct drive?)
- I capture my vinyl via a USB Phono Plus
- I just got an Ortofon Super OM10 and 78 I'd like to keep using.
- I would love it if it could be kept to as close to $100 as possible. Is that impossible? Also, is it going to last 25 years like this Pioneer PL300 has?
- Is it better to just get an older record player from a used or online shop?

Any guidance, advice, suggestions, etc would be really appreciated, guys. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
kraut
post Nov 15 2011, 20:17
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 85965

Your question:

where did i said anything like that, hm?

to my answer:

How the fuck do you think motor noise or bearing noise gets into the pickup? Santy Clause?

of which you conveniently forgot to quote the explanatory part:

With belt drive the belt decouples the motor from the platter, while in direct drive any noise gets directly transferred from the platter into the cartridge via the record.

to your previous question:

and how is the drive related to noise? it depends on the pickup, not on the rotation method

Do you see something? A connection maybe? Or a disconnect on your side? Do you need more help?
It helps to quote context.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 14:04