Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New record player suggestions?
tinpanalley
post Nov 14 2011, 18:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43262

Hello,
My old turntable might finally be dead. I'm wondering what to buy and have no idea so I thought you guys might be able to offer me some suggestions.

Here's some criteria and things I'm looking for...

- I only play jazz, pop vocalists, pop/rock records at home on my stereo system. This isn't for professional use at all.
- I do want the best my money can buy, which means I'm not someone who wants to "just listen to my records" either in any crappy quality. The turntable has to do its job well and in the best way possible (belt drive vs direct drive?)
- I capture my vinyl via a USB Phono Plus
- I just got an Ortofon Super OM10 and 78 I'd like to keep using.
- I would love it if it could be kept to as close to $100 as possible. Is that impossible? Also, is it going to last 25 years like this Pioneer PL300 has?
- Is it better to just get an older record player from a used or online shop?

Any guidance, advice, suggestions, etc would be really appreciated, guys. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Nov 14 2011, 21:11
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

I haven't bought a turntable in about 30 years... So take whatever I say with a grain of salt...

Knowzy.com is mostly about USB turntables, but you might find some good information. NeedleDoctor.com has the largest selection of turntables I've seen.

- I would love it if it could be kept to as close to $100 as possible. Is that impossible? Also, is it going to last 25 years like this Pioneer PL300 has?
You're probably going to have to spend around $300 USD if you want something well made (similar to you Pioneer).

There are a lot of cheap plastic turntables for people who just want to play their old records or make quick digital transfers, and there are a lot of absurdly high-end "audiophile" turntables. In the middle, there are DJ turntables.

- Is it better to just get an older record player from a used or online shop?
I assume you can get a bargain, since most people don't use their turntables anymore. But, I don't know if it will last another 25 years.

(belt drive vs direct drive?)
Since you'd like to keep the turntbale for many years, I'd worry about the availability of belts. It seems like the direct drive turntables have generally outlasted the belt drives... Probably because of belts wearing-out and perhaps being unavailable?

The audiophile turntables seem to be mostly belt drive, but direct drive can be very-good!

- I just got an Ortofon Super OM10 and 78 I'd like to keep using.
I believe those are standard 1/2" mount, which is still pretty standard. If the tonearm has a removable headshell with a 1/2" mount, and if you can get an extra headshell, everything should be OK.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Nov 14 2011, 21:20
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 03:49