Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Analogue to Digital quality settings?, need help on settings for transfers
duartisimo
post Oct 28 2011, 00:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71276

Hope you Vinyl guys can help me out with this one,

I have about 10 vinyl-only recordings by Pearl Jam and sort of want to know what recommendations you guys would give in order to achieve the best possible results, within a budget of course, for digitizing their music. Have enough money for a pair of Grado headphones and a Woo audio amp connected to a 24/192 capable sound card on a purpose built computer, but not enough to buy one of those $3000 "audiophile" turntables and a $1000 preamp just to digitize 10 records, some of them singles. Hope you guys can help me with these issues:

*On some circles i have read that the Pro Ject III is the best USB turntable and can get good results with it, but i have also read that USB turntables in general suck for digitizing
*I am all for 24 bit digital audio, but don't know if it makes a difference if i digitize vinyl to a 24/192 resolution or a CD quality one, even if some of my records are 180 g, which i also ponder if the thickness of the record itself makes a real difference on resolution capabilities when/if being transferred to digital
*I'm from Baja California, Mexico so a good company in San Diego or LA that offers those services and attends to those issues i have with the transferring process is a quick drive away, so im fine if some of you guys can recommend me one of those
*I have Audacity and have access to Pro Tools at the school where i work, so these 2 are the ones i would be using to do the process with. Is one better than the other on this sort of thing and do those noise removal tools really work? Do i lose much music by doing that?

Nothing against vinyl, i just want to have a quality copy of those records so i can listen to them all the time without having to worry about scratching or deteriorating the grooves from the discs themselves.

Thanks

PS sorry about my spelling, not very good at english

This post has been edited by duartisimo: Oct 28 2011, 00:07
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Stanzmastertron
post Feb 1 2012, 15:54
Post #2

Member No.: 88319

I'm surprised by the comments. My 24/96 vinyl flacs sound better than cd ripped flacs of the same songs.
+Quote Post
dhromed
post Feb 1 2012, 16:10
Post #3

Member No.: 51347

QUOTE (Stanzmastertron @ Feb 1 2012, 15:54) *
My 24/96 vinyl flacs sound better than cd ripped flacs of the same songs.

Downsample your vinyl flacs to 16/44.1 and perform an ABX test, otherwise your comment about quality is entirely moot.

There's a good chance your CD version was limited more aggressively than the vinyl version. It is unlikely the difference has anything to do with 24/96, as the difference is mostly low-level noise.

This post has been edited by dhromed: Feb 1 2012, 16:10
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 01:37