IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

About APEv2 tags and possibilities, ... what about exotic fields ?
guruboolez
post May 7 2003, 06:26
Post #1

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 420

I have some questions about tagging possibilities. I'm using mpc & APEv2 for long time, but I never created other fields than standard one (artist-title-date...). Simply because Winamp and other players don't show other ones.

Now that foobar benefits by the tagging window of Peter Pawlowski, and include a nice title formatting/Album List/Masstagger, I decided to think about better fields than standard ones. With them, I can create the powerful jukebox/organizer I always dreamt about (with performer sorting, label grouping...).
I actually need additional fields in order to store extra- but essential informations as performer and conductor. And I'm thinking about others one, in order to skip the useless (for me) album field, and replace it with something like title / subtitle or maintitle / title .

But I have some questions : are there some risks to do it ? Will I break some compatibilities ? And what kind of name can I create : are space allowed by the APE standard [main title or main_title], how many characters for one field, are redundancies allowed (i.e. PERFORMER, and PERFORMER again in the same file) ?
I can of course answer myself by simple tests in foobar2000 ; nevertheless, I prefer theoretical informations. I don't want to put a lot of work and time in retagging 10.000 files for losing the benefits few month later with an hypothetical SV7->SV8 transcoder that doesn't allow exotic/non-standard tagging informations...

Last one : are there defined (officially, I mean) fields ? I found two interesting leads in these links :
http://www.private.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/sv...sv8/apekey.html
http://membres.lycos.fr/guruboolez/img/tagger.png

Are the names official ? Are they stopped ? Must we follow them, or are they only suggestions ?

Thank you for answering smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 12:01