IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Looking for help EQing an old recording
MedO
post Oct 15 2011, 19:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24095

I was recently asked to copy an old tape to PC, which was copied from some other tape, and that might not have been the original medium either. Some asking and looking suggested that there is no easy way to get at a better version of the recording. The lyrics for many of the songs can't be found on the 'net and even for two songs where I found the lyrics and title, google did not turn up any page which contains both titles together.

So, this seems to be rare enough to warrant making a copy, and so I want to do a proper job. I already did some volume adjustment, applied mild noise reduction and restored missing parts of one channel with audio from the other. However, the result sounds like it could use some EQ.

However, since I'm not very experienced with audio editing, I'd like to ask if someone can give me advice on which settings to use, or perhaps even send me an Audacity EQ preset. I tried finding good settings myself, but didn't manage to judge whether changes I made were improvements or not.

I uploaded an excerpt of the audio here: http://www.ganggarrison.com/filehost/s1_excerpt.flac
Any help with the EQing or other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Notat
post Oct 16 2011, 04:58
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 72373

I'm hearing the same thing there plus noise. Might be tape speed flutter. There are some experimental techniques that can remove this. I'd take your best cut at it right now. Make sure to save an unprocessed version of the recording so that you can try again in the future when better tools are available.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 09:14