IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Normalizing ALAC to avoid sound clipping in iPod with EQ on
R1sky
post Oct 6 2011, 09:54
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94174

I've ripped my whole CD collection with dBpoweramp to ALAC, but as soon as I use some "bass heavier" EQ on my iPod classic (6th gen), I can hear quite loud sound clipping (in more bassy sections of tracks) instead of deeper bass. I was searching for solution to fix this and the answer was to lower the gain of songs (using iTunNORM tag). The only way to do this is by using iVolume, because mp3gain (also AACGain) and all other utilities doesn't support ALAC. This could be fine, but the problem is, that iPod firstly applies the EQ (which distorts the sound) and after that applies the iTunNORM tag to decrease the gain -> the result is just distorted quieter sound.

I was also looking on WaveGain (CD -> wave -> WaveGain -> ALAC), but it looks like, there's fairly a lot of bit loss - which means WaveGain-ed ALAC files aren't lossless anymore. I wanted to ask, if there is any lossless way to play my ALAC files on iPod without distortion with EQ on? = do you have any idea how to lower the gain of tracks without losing quality?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
saratoga
post Oct 7 2011, 19:45
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3264

You might be interested in rockbox down the road. The port for your player isn't all that stable yet, but is improving. Once its solid, there is a parametric EQ with precut, so its pretty simply to boost bass without clipping/distortion.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 06:03