IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New to vinyl, need a bit of help with my set up
PickleJelly
post Aug 4 2011, 08:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 92764

Ok so I just recently went ahead and bought some LPs and have been interested in getting a turntable and starting a modest starter system with my current system for a while now, atleast until I'm out of college and can afford a high quality system. Currently I have a Sony mhc ec99i 530 watt shelf system that I scooped up because it was really cheap and has considerably good sound quality for the price. That being said I've done some research and found out that I'll need to get a phono preamp so I can somehow connect a turntable to the speaker system. So If anybody could try and answer the following questions in a way that a complete newbie like me can understand it would seriously... seriously be appreciated.

1. What kind of turntable should I get? I wanted something possibly older but my price range is between $200 and $300, USB turntables don't really interest me and the quality is a bit lower than I'd be willing to settle for unless it's my only option.

2. What kind of preamp should I get? Again looking for something cheaper without sacrificing enough quality to make listening to vinyl basically pointless and

3. How would I got about connecting the preamp to my Sony speaker system and the turntable? Are there certain chords to buy and where would I connect them?

4. Do I need a receiver or is that basically already in my speaker system?

I apologize for the tall order guys and hope that you bear with me because I am completely lost even after trying to look up other info around the web and considering that this is my first post.

Here's the owner's manual if that helps at all:
Owner's Manual

Any help is fully appreciated, Thank you in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PickleJelly
post Aug 4 2011, 17:48
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 92764

Thanks so much cliveb! This has really helped, I was so stuck in the dark laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 16:18