IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

AAC: iTunes indicate it as superior to MP3... but is true?
Antigen
post Jul 29 2011, 08:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71655

Hi to all,

I have an iPod, i use a Mac, but for audio I prefer to use EAC + LAME.

On different web site, I have read that with an ABX, the AAC format at the same bitrate give a more better audio experience and the audio quality is very high respect to MP3.

this is only marketing from Apple... or is the reality?

I'm evaulating the possibility to switch to AAC if is very superior.

But the question is another...

- because use AAC when only Apple Player can use it?

My car don't read AAC, my DVD player read only MP3.

I have bought a Mac for his superior OS, respect to Windows XP, but actually im concerned about a problem... I see that the Apple World is too close... and some time is too similar to the worse side of Microsoft

Thanks for the explanation.

Bye!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Kohlrabi
post Jul 29 2011, 10:55
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 20561

THe most recent multiformat listening test including the LAME MP3 encoder and iTunes AAC I found is from Dec. 2005. The test was conducted at approx. 128kbit/s bitrate for all formats. You can see the result yourself, but the conclusion basically was that all the contenders performed very well at these bitrates. This suggests two things:

1. AAC is not inherently much better than MP3. (It rather strongly depends on the codec implementation, LAME improved in the time following this test, see this test)

2. 182 kbit/s is actually a high bitrate for these modern codecs, meaning that most are nearly indistinguishable from the main source and nearly equally good most of the time. This suggests 128kbit/s are probably enough for most listeners for most samples.

I didn't find any tests including both iTunes AAC and iTunes MP3 encoders, but this MP3-only test suggests that iTunes MP3 is on par with the LAME MP3 encoder.

--------------------
Ceterum censeo Masterdiskem esse delendam.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 13:25