IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Universal MG embed an audible watermark in downloads (article@post#30), Was: FLAC file with artefacts not present on original CD?
LordWarlock
post Apr 7 2012, 14:26
Post #51

Group: Members
Member No.: 24044

I thought the troll was obvious from the first post already, interesting how he's been fed for so long already.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andy o
post Apr 7 2012, 15:58
Post #52

Member No.: 68950

It's been long enough and the evidence is mounting that offering less expensive, DRM-less media makes people buy it. iTunes, Amazon, and even for video, the recent Louis CK special (read the couple of posts there). I would have never bought a $20 DVD, and I never do, I always rent, but for $5 I did buy the thing, and I can view it anywhere I want. On the other side of the coin, I know of no one who can play blu-ray easily on their spanking new blu-ray "capable" PC, without buying tools to break the DRM, and even that includes some level of knowledge that the average consumer doesn't bother with.
+Quote Post
copperears
post Nov 18 2013, 19:12
Post #53

Member No.: 112275

Note: some other albums you can clearly hear this audible watermarking effect on:

1. Krystian Zimerman, Chopin Ballades, Deutsche Grammophon -- right there from the first note
2. Elliott Carter, Clarinet Concerto, BBC Symphony - quite audible in the clarinet in the 2nd movement
3. Verdi - Great Operas from La Scala, Deutsche Grammophon - should be renamed Warbly Recording of Great Operas from La Scala
4. John Dowland - The Collected Works, L'Oiseau-Lyre - quite noticeable on any solo vocal or lute tracks.
5. Bernstein Collector's Edition - Stravinsky, Deutsche Grammophon
6. Mahler - The Symphonies, Leonard Bernstein, conductor - Deutsche Grammophon
7. Solti - Wagner - The Operas - Decca

I've looked around the internet and it sounds like UMG's audible watermarking is far more pervasive than the above list, and may extend to CDs as well as digital streamed or downloaded files (mine are all from iTunes purchases).

I am ceasing all further purchase of UMG downloads - or, indeed, CDs or any other media format - until I see an official acknowledgment from the company that this technology has been removed forever more, and that all downloads available from the iTunes Apple Store published by UMG have been replaced with versions without this horrible, audible watermarking.

This post has been edited by copperears: Nov 18 2013, 19:13
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th December 2014 - 12:45