Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Keeping track of turntable play time
System92
post Jun 25 2011, 01:48
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91820

Hey,

They say it required to change a stylus after so many hours of play, but how do you keep track of said time? Do you keep a timer near the turntable and clock its play time? Do you guess it, or simply judge by the look/sound of the needle?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AndyH-ha
post Jun 26 2011, 05:06
Post #2

Member No.: 24222

something like that might work pretty well, if you consider it worth the cost, but motor time and stylus time can be quite different on some TTs.
+Quote Post
kraut
post Jun 26 2011, 08:03
Post #3

Member No.: 85965

QUOTE (AndyH-ha @ Jun 25 2011, 21:06) *
something like that might work pretty well, if you consider it worth the cost, but motor time and stylus time can be quite different on some TTs.

That is definitely a possibility - if I run the motor without playing a record, what I sometimes do to keep all parts in running condition, or on an automatic player where the run time of the motor might slightly exceed the stylus time.
Overall I cannot conceive this to be a major problem.

I also am convinced from experience that the useable time for a stylus is much more than the advertised hours.
In the past I used systems for several years playing typically 2 hours/day for at least 200 days a year (no TV, just records and reading) for up to ten years without detrimental results.
I used to and am still playing wet (except for the sl 10) on my other three players, which through cooling of the stylus while playback and lubrication likely enhances lifetime.

BTW - the stylus was still ok when after 15 years I reinstalled the TT and used the same stylus for another 100 hours or so. I then (a ortofon mm system) replaced it with a used shure V15VxMR.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 12:30