Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to make Foobar2000 playing custom file extension audio file? (Read 5700 times) previous topic - next topic

How to make Foobar2000 playing custom file extension audio file?

I've rename all my 'mp3' files to 'dat' extension files because of avoiding legal and censorship issue...

Window Media Player 11 & Winamp recognize file contents (regardless of file extension) and plays renamed 'dat' file(originally renamed form 'mp3')

But foobar2000 and AIMP2 cannot play renamed 'mp3' file..

foobar2000 reports as this

"Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"C:\Program Files\Music\02 Piano man.dat"

Is there any tweak for foobar 2000 player supporting custom file extension?

thanks for reading.. 

Reply #1
The only way I can think of is to edit foo_input_std.dll manually with some hex-editor.

Reply #2
I've rename all my 'mp3' files to 'dat' extension files because of avoiding legal and censorship issue...
Which issues can be avoided in that way?

Reply #3
Fooling regular users, at best.

Or you could just hide file extensions and then add .dat to the files.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #4
The only way I can think of is to edit foo_input_std.dll manually with some hex-editor.

I've HEX edited "foo_input_std.dll" all "MP1" to "DAT" and That works fine.. problem is solved..

thanks..

Reply #5
Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the software or any part thereof.

Reply #6
Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the software or any part thereof.

Sorry about that.. 

I reverted the file to original and deleted the edited file..

I really hope foobar to support custom file extention later release..

Reply #7
In the spirit of the license, I don't think editing a dll file for personal use is going to make anyone angry, and Peter's not going to spectacularly crash through your roof on his fire-breathing dragon in order to immolate your computer.  You're fine as long as you're not going to distribute this new "version". Scarequotes intended.

Reply #8
Edited versions have been known to waste my time when they generate bogus crash reports. You may get banned from the crash report tracker in case your edit goes wrong. Other than that I see nothing wrong with doing such edits for personal use and not redistributing the DLL so people who don't know what they're doing get it as some "improvement" over the stock version.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.