IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

ogg auto-encoding lo-volume passages at lo bitrates?, ...tried this question with mp3s with no luck.
selection7
post May 20 2011, 07:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90332

First, my audio to be encoded never has any true, dead silence.
But for example, I have a track that's nothing but a count in and and then only noise floor afterwards...and I want this 4min file to encode at no more than maybe 600kb since 97% of the file should be encoded at ~32kpbs while the part with actual audible sound gets encoded at more like ~200kbps. I know it's common for variable bitrate encoders to vary bitrates depending on frequency, but I want it to vary depending on volume too! Yes, encoders do reduce bitrate drastically when the file is flatlining dead silence, but I don't want to have to noisegate to achieve this and I don't have dead silence, just noise floor. I'm not the only one who'll be encoding with this purpose in mind and that's an extra step I'd like to avoid for multiple reasons.

I can't find an ogg encoder that will do this? Has anyone achieved this or have any useful info/suggestions?

EXTRA INFO:
What I'm doing is encoding separate tracks that make up one song, but I'm finding that my LAME encoder (and others I've tried) encode near silence (noise floor) at roughly the same bitrate as very loud audio even. I want it to encode at something like 32kpbs when the audio level is that low.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
googlebot
post May 20 2011, 08:30
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 78779

You are looking at the wrong end of the chain. What you want is a gating effect, that turns all noise below a threshold into absolute silence before encoding.

This post has been edited by googlebot: May 20 2011, 08:30
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 17:49