IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Windows Media Player and Windows Explorer won't read some ID3v2.3
rajkumari
post May 7 2011, 21:05
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 3
Joined: 7-May 11
From: Rio de Janeiro
Member No.: 90441



I had posted this on another forum, but they couldn't help me there no matter how much they tried (this problem is kind of weird), so they told me to ask for help here. I'll try to describe my problem in detail here, as well as talk about what was already suggested to me and didn't work.

I had hundreds of tagged MP3 files on my old notebook (which broke a few days ago), whose tags showed correctly both on iTunes and on Windows Media Player. I bought a new computer recently and, when I transferred the files from the old to the new one, most of the tags were gone. Well, they're still being shown on iTunes, which means my ID3v2.4 tags are safe, and if I open them on Mp3tag it'll show all the correct tags, and it'll say they're ID3v2.3, which means that, in thesis, Windows Media Player and Windows Explorer should have no trouble reading them, but most songs have absolutely no info on both. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to which files' tags can and can't be read; some are fine and some gone, for no apparent reason. If I try to add tags using Windows Media Player, they're correct for a few seconds, but then they're back to being blank. I can't edit tags using the Details tab on the Properties menu of the files; when I click on the tag I want to edit, instead of a text box appearing, nothing happens; I just can't type. This happens on both the tagless files and the OK ones. It's as if the files were read only, but they're not. I'm not getting error messages nor anything like that; I just can't change tags. I've also tried saving the tags on Mp3tag, but nothing happens. I mean, if I make any changes, they do show on Mp3tag itself, but the tags are still wrong (or nowhere to be seen) on Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player.

Also, there's an odd detail: when I opened the contents of the external HD my old computers' songs are in using Windows Explorer on that old computer itself, the files would all be OK; if I open them on the new one, they'd be wrong.

I think I know how this mess started: a few weeks ago, I was trying to find a way of making Devnagri (a non-Unicode script) song and album titles and artist names show correctly on iTunes. I Google it, and got to a website that had rather confuse instructions. It looked like the site was telling me to change the ID3 version of the files. As I had no idea what that was by then (see? There's always a bright side: all this crap has at least taught me something about MP3 file tagging! Yeah, thank you, Lord, though I still think you could've found a better way to teach me about that), I thought it could do no harm, and selected all files (why, oh, why all? Couldn't I have tested it with only ONE?), right-clicked, selected "Convert ID3 Tags..." and changed the ID3 version lots of times. I think I tried all available versions, and none did what I wanted it to (i.e., make Devnagri text not show as little squares). The problem started when I converted the tags to ID3v1.0; since it has a character limit, all tags that were longer than X characters were partially lost and I spent a few hours retying everything (do I even need to comment on how pissed off I was? This should teach me to test first, THEN risk my whole music folder). So, perhaps that caused this issue; I mean, before that happened, I had successfully transferred MP3 files from my old computer to other ones (including this very same one) with no tag problem, and also, the MP3 files I downloaded AFTER all that happened have all their info correct, and their tags CAN be edited using the Properties thing on Windows Explorer. However, why only some files of the files that had they tags messed up that day, and not all of them, lost their tags, is beyond my knowledge. And since I can't use that old laptop any more, I can't restore that computer to an earlier date and try to get the "unmessed up" versions of the files, so I MUST find a way to fix the files I currently have, unless I have to redownload everything - which would be nearly impossible, as I have 300+ broken MP3s.

Could anyone please, please, please help me? crying.gif

ETA: If this helps, here are the files on Mp3tag; here you can see the very same files on Windows Explorer, and here, on iTunes.

This post has been edited by rajkumari: May 7 2011, 21:34
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
 
Start new topic
Replies
grayfoxninja
post Dec 13 2012, 05:03
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 1
Joined: 23-August 09
Member No.: 72587



i found another solution to the problem, open foobar2000, add the folder with your songs, then select them all, right click, select utilities and then Rebuild MP3 Stream and later Fix VBR MP3 Header, it solved the problem and windows now sees the tags!!!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic


Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 13:23