Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lossy WavPack playback issue
Nemz
post Apr 9 2011, 16:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89679

Greetings,

I apologize for my poor english skills but it's not my primary language but I'll try to be as understandable as possible.

By the way I want to thanks Bryant for is GREAT codec! smile.gif

Here is my problem now:

I usually encode my library in FLAC but now I want to switch to WavPack because I've got an Android phone (HTC Desire Z / G2) and with WavPack I don't have to maintain 2 library anymore (Lossless/Lossy) by transfering only the .wv file and it's a great feature!

But here is the bummer: when I try to play the .wv on my phone (overclocked at 1Ghz) there is a LOT of artifacts (click etc.). I have tried different players (PowerAMP, Andless, DeadBeef and the results are the same) and different songs.

I try to play the encoded lossy files on my PC (windows 7 x64) the sounds looks perfect.

The presets are :
- compression mode : Tried both Normal/Ultra High
- additionnal processing: Level 6
- Birate: 320kbps (I'm not an audiophile)
- Hybrid mode with correction file

Anyone has aready have this problem and managed to get rid of it?

Cheers.

Nemz

This post has been edited by Nemz: Apr 9 2011, 16:48
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Nemz
post Apr 9 2011, 19:09
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 89679

I do not try Fast but I've tried normal and the problem is the same. As you pointed out I have a more than capable phone to decode Wavpack but I'll try with fast encode to give a shot. wink.gif

The file are on my SD but I don't think the problem is here since my defaut player (PowerAMP) plays FLAC level 8 flawesly altought I can only put files on my SD card.

I also try to increase the buffer size but the problem persist. :/
+Quote Post
soiaf
post Apr 9 2011, 19:37
Post #3

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 22024

QUOTE (Nemz @ Apr 9 2011, 19:09) *
I also try to increase the buffer size but the problem persist. :/

How did you do that - the only way to do that would be to compile your own version of the code and upload it to your phone? Obviously its possible to do so with something like andless if you are comfortable with Android development.

There are certain things I can think of that can cause stuttering - too slow a CPU (definitely not the case), file access too slow (shouldn't be the case), buffer sizes, or Java garbage collection kicking in too often etc. - but if it was a Java Garbage collection issue (not really likely as the code is mostly C) I would expect other files to not play correctly, and, as you point out, FLAC files play fine.
I genuinely can't think what else might be causing problems on one particular type of Android phone. You don't know anyone with the same type of phone to try the files on as well?

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 15:43