IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Dark Side of The Moon: The best remastered edition?
Antigen
post Mar 27 2011, 21:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71655

Hi to all,

i want to buy the best version of The Dark Side of The Moon of Pink Floyd.

I don't have a SACD player.

What is the best edition?

I have see on Amazon that exist a version made on 1992, one on 1994 and one on 2003 for 30th anniversary.

What is the best?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
slks
post Jun 19 2012, 23:28
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 29046

RG values are not a definitive indication of good mastering. While it's true that high RG values (-11 dB for example) almost certainly require some clipping/compression to reach ... Say you simply reduced the volume of that recording by 9 dB in Audacity. You'd now have a file with a RG measurement of -2 dB -- but it would still be just as clipped and compressed as the -11 dB file. RG only tells you what the perceived loudness is. It doesn't tell you whether a recording sounds good, whether it has been properly mastered or not.

The only exception to this, really, is when values start getting much beyond -10ish ... at that point, the audio's so loud that it's a near certainty that heavy amounts of clipping/compression are involved.

Now on to Dark Side of the Moon. I've got the MFSL release, which does measure an album RG of +0.78 dB and a peak of 0.600952 . Although these measurements don't tell you much, MFSL purports to do flat transfers of the master tapes without further compression. And it does sound like that's what they've done. I'm completely satisfied with it, and have never had any desire to track down any other version (except for the quadraphonic mix). Other CD releases are just going to be EQd a little differently, with newer ones probably being clippressed to varying degrees also. I see no reason to search for anything other than the MFSL, if you can find that release. If you want to change up the sound a bit, just play around with the EQ for yourself.

This post has been edited by slks: Jun 19 2012, 23:30

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 13:55