IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

AAC vs LAME Mp3 Battery drain on Sony E series
zvnteq777
post Mar 15 2011, 17:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89019

Hi, I have a Sony E353 walkman mp3 player (also plays ogg, aac, flac, etc) anyway, I was thinking of converting my library to AAC 156kbps VBR but I was wondering if that or LAME q3 would drain the battery more, at identical bitrates, let's say 128 CBR for both AAC and LAME Mp3 (I'm using version 3.98.4) which would be a bigger drain on the battery?

Thanks so much for your help smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
slks
post Jan 27 2012, 08:54
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 29046

It seems to just depend on how efficient the particular decoding software used on a particular player functions. I don't think that tests done on one hardware and software combination (like the aforementioned Nokia test) will be the result for other players. Or that small differences in CPU load will even make a significant impact on battery life.

There's no database I know of, where you can see how particular formats on particular players perform. No companies have done tests like this on their players. So, the only way to get that information would be to hope someone with your same player has done the tests (and hope their claimed results are accurate), or to do the tests yourself.

I'm skeptical that which format your music is in has any impact on battery life beyond a few percentage points. All my computer experience tells me otherwise. The best way to get battery life is to buy hardware that's rated for longer battery life in the first place. It's a spec that I think people ignore way too much. Like all the laptops I see that only last for 90 minutes. Might as well have bought a desktop...

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 03:47