IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Banana splits, Splitting the atom is sod all compared to splitting a mega-track.
T.Triumvirate
post Mar 11 2011, 21:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88853

I have five William Burroughs lectures/readings/ramblings that are all over ninety-minutes long. All the aforementioned chap does is talk, cough, ramble and light a cigarette every so often. I've tried to split one-hundred minute tracks into two fifty-minute ones, etc, with dismal results. 'Wave Editors', 'File-Splitters' a-go-go: nix!

Anyone with any info -- I have the Hydrogen Auto Cue Tool to work in conjunction with the totally excellent E.A.C. bit-of-kit: I can't even split a banana with the thin.

Now then, I'm no computer maven, but usually just find out what I have to do to and, erm, do it; however, I've hit a rather large brick wall with this one.

I'd be grateful for any and all advice stated simply for a poor Non-Geek in Geeksville.

I've just found out that, in this twenty-first of centuries, one is not able to buy a CD-R 120...

Okus dokus.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AndyH-ha
post Mar 11 2011, 21:17
Post #2

Member No.: 24222

The task is not difficult, but may be tedious if you want to edit the content. However, you have not given any hints about what impedes you. What are the specifications of your sources? What kind of system are you working on? What particular problems are you encountering? Do you simply want to break the audio files into shorter lengths or also accomplish something more?
+Quote Post
Nick.C
post Mar 11 2011, 23:24
Post #3

lossyWAV Developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 42400

If the files were compressed in FLAC then you could use the --skip=mm:ss.ss and --until=mm:ss.ss to extract chunks of the file (and re-encode fairly easily).

--------------------
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 --feedback 4| FLAC -8 ~= 320kbps
+Quote Post
WonderSlug
post Mar 12 2011, 06:33
Post #4

Member No.: 51066

If one has enough RAM memory (at least 2GB for 90+ minutes), even the simple Windows Sound Recorder can do what the OP wants.

I do it all the time.

I load a 900 MB WAV file (standard 44/16/2) which is about 90 minutes long into Windows Sound Recorder. Then you move the slider to the position where you want to "cut" the audio. Then choose Edit->Delete After Current Position.

Save the resulting trimmed audio to a new WAV file, like "First-Part.wav"

Repeat on original WAV file and choose Edit->Delete Before Current Position instead.

Save to WAV file named something like "Second-Part.wav"

+Quote Post
[JAZ]
post Mar 12 2011, 15:46
Post #5

Member No.: 2383

A .cue file can be (mis)used to do this too. Use foobar2000 to play the cue, and convert the "tracks" to .wav. (can be done all at the same time).

But probably a more visual way than a .cue is needed here, so using an audio editor is preffered.

I've just found out that, in this twenty-first of centuries, one is not able to buy a CD-R 120...
Of course you can.. you can buy a single layer DVD of 4.7GB, you can buy a dual layer DVD 8.5GB, you can buy a blu-ray 25GB or 50GB.... (one could even buy an HD-DVD of 30GB before the format was killed).
Oh, and of course then there is SD, microSD, USB pen drive....

In other words, you cannot get something old and magically made it work as if it was something new.
+Quote Post
indybrett
post Mar 12 2011, 18:36
Post #6

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 1440

I almost always use CD Wave Editor for tasks such as this, assuming the source audio is in WAV format of course.

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

--------------------
flac>fb2k>kernel streaming>audiophile 2496>magni>dt990 pro
+Quote Post
T.Triumvirate
post Mar 12 2011, 20:26
Post #7

Member No.: 88853

QUOTE ([JAZ] @ Mar 12 2011, 14:46) *

A .cue file can be (mis)used to do this too. Use foobar2000 to play the cue, and convert the "tracks" to .wav. (can be done all at the same time).

But probably a more visual way than a .cue is needed here, so using an audio editor is preffered.

Of course you can.. you can buy a single layer DVD of 4.7GB, you can buy a dual layer DVD 8.5GB, you can buy a blu-ray 25GB or 50GB.... (one could even buy an HD-DVD of 30GB before the format was killed).
Oh, and of course then there is SD, microSD, USB pen drive....

In other words, you cannot get something old and magically made it work as if it was something new.

Q) When is a CD-R not a CD-R? A) When some supercilious prick turns it into a DVD

If you need to record for 120 minutes you need to split your recording onto two CDs. Or you need to record a DVD Audio disc which is not compatible with a CD player and may not be compatible with all DVD players.
Source(s):
CD-R explained:
+Quote Post
pdq
post Mar 12 2011, 20:50
Post #8

Member No.: 24233

Many CD players will play a CD with mp3 files. This could increase the capacity to several hours.
+Quote Post
[JAZ]
post Mar 13 2011, 13:43
Post #9

Member No.: 2383

QUOTE (T.Triumvirate @ Mar 12 2011, 20:26) *
Q) When is a CD-R not a CD-R? A) When some supercilious prick turns it into a DVD

You may not like my answer, but telling me such thing doesn't make your point any better.

A Red Book CD (Audio CD) is defined for two physical sizes: 8cm or 12cm of diameter (you can't put a bigger one on a CD player), and the physical dimensions of the data, and how is this data interpreted is defined by the standard and is unchangeable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28CD_standard%29

So, now, tell me how can you have a Red Book CD that still has 12cm of diameter, still conforms to the Red Book CD standard in terms of physical size of the data in this disc, and actually have more data?

I gave you the answer to this question: It is not possible, you have to change the standard (like DVD and Blu-ray)

This post has been edited by [JAZ]: Mar 13 2011, 13:46
+Quote Post
shawncumby
post Mar 13 2011, 16:43
Post #10

Member No.: 79127

Just get a sound editor. I have Sony Sound Forge (my favorite and the best), Audacity (great for recording audio from computer), and Magix Music Maker (least favorite, just in case).

--------------------
Foobar 2000 1.01
+Quote Post
greynol
post Mar 13 2011, 18:39
Post #11

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (shawncumby @ Mar 13 2011, 08:43) *
(my favorite and the best)

It's the best because it is your favorite, or it is your favorite because it is the best?

Please stop with the subjective nonsense already!

--------------------
Placebophiles: put up or shut up!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:42