IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Burninate CD-Writer plugin, Any way to control Burn Speed?
uart
post Mar 8 2011, 16:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18295

I have Windows XP SP2 and I just installed the latest version of Foobar2000 (v 1.1.5) and the "official" burninate CD Writer plugin.

At first it didn't work but I downloaded the imapi2 update and now it's burning ok. The only problem is that I cant find any way to control the write speed. Does anyone have any tips for doing this.

Thanks. smile.gif

This post has been edited by uart: Mar 8 2011, 16:30
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
kode54
post Mar 9 2011, 14:46
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

There is an interface in IMAPI v2 to set the recording speed, but the component does not use it. Mainly because only a vocal minority see a point to recording at slower than the maximum speed supported by the media or drive.

Some placebo crap about warm fuzzies and less jitter from recording at the slowest possible speed supported by the drive. Reminds me of those people who think that cutting vinyl at half speed according to a signal which is also slowed down to half speed will improve the sonic response of the resulting record.

Of course, I also remember reading stories about weird and likely crappy audio CD players failing to recognize CDs recorded at speeds faster than 2x.

(Hurr, I haven't recorded a CD at slower than 6x since back when I plugged a CD recorder into a computer that only supported PIO and was CPU limited to writing at 4x.)
+Quote Post
uart
post Mar 9 2011, 15:02
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 18295

Yeah I've encountered that dogmatic mindset many times before. This has nothing what so ever to do with audio quality or warm fuzzy feelings. The CD's sound exactly the same either way, but burning at 16x on my hardware objectively produces discs with lower error rates and less chance of burn failure than burning at 48x (max). There are advantages in both longevity and compatibility with various players of having discs with lower C1/C2 error rates, that's ALL there is to it.

BTW. Time difference is 3.25 minutes at 48x versus 4.5 minutes at 16x, so it's not anywhere near the time penalty that you'd think from the raw numbers.

This post has been edited by kode54: Mar 9 2011, 15:12
Reason for edit: Removed useless full quote
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 03:22