IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New needle and/or cartridge for Technics SL-BD22D
jamie_P84
post Jan 25 2011, 21:10
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 77832

We have a Technics SL-BD22D turntable, originally manufactured in 1998 and still with its original Technics P34 needle and cartridge (T4P standard).
I'd like to replace the needle and/or cartridge. The deck is factory adjusted for tracking force and anti-skating of 1.25

Which new needle and/or cartridge would be most suitable?

Thanks
jamie.

This post has been edited by jamie_P84: Jan 25 2011, 21:11
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ramicio
post Jan 25 2011, 21:22
Post #2

Group: Banned
Member No.: 84568

I bought an AT-92ECD cartridge from RadioShack. It was $30 and I was happy with it. I only replaced the factory one because the elastic parts in the stylus died, literally, it fell apart. Definitely get the tracking force at least checked with a different cartridge. The AT-92ECD was barely better than the factory cartridge, and any betterness could be attributed to the age of the old one and it almost falling apart, plus just a different sound being a different product. One thing I noticed with this turntable is with newer records you will get horrible distortion whenever a microphone-kissing artist makes a hard sound like S, F, or T. I have no idea if this is all due to the turntable, the cartridge, or the records themselves, as I don't have a different set up to compare with, but I'm sure if it was generally records then people really would have given up on them more so than they already have.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 10:57