IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!

- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.

- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.

- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

What determines which encoders/settings you use. (2011)
2011 Reason Poll
The reason I use [blank] for lossy is:
Compatibility [ 103 ] ** [55.68%]
Quality [ 74 ] ** [40.00%]
Match Purchased Music [ 3 ] ** [1.62%]
Other [ 5 ] ** [2.70%]
I use [blank] for lossless because:
Compatibility [ 101 ] ** [54.59%]
Compression [ 29 ] ** [15.68%]
Features [ 27 ] ** [14.59%]
Other [ 28 ] ** [15.14%]
I encode everything lossy at [blank] because:
Highest Quality [ 54 ] ** [29.19%]
Based On What I Can ABX [ 85 ] ** [45.95%]
Absolutely Pack DAP [ 20 ] ** [10.81%]
Other [ 26 ] ** [14.05%]
Total Votes: 238

antman
post Jan 4 2011, 01:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39241

Isn't this a new years tradition. smile.gif

I thought instead of doing yet another "which lossy/lossless/bitrate do you use" poll, we'd do something a little different. I'm more interested in the reason why people use which encoders and settings they do.

And to start:

Lossy: Compatibility, MP3 (AAC tags have given me problems in the past, mostly on cell phones).
Lossless: Compatibility, FLAC (if a media player doesn't support FLAC, there's a plugin somewhere that will make it).
Encode: Absolutely pack out whatever mp3 player/cell phone I got. I can't ABX for shiznit. V5 most of the time, V4 when I'm feelin fancy laugh.gif

Compatibility can also be read as: compatibility with the devices I own.

I know there's gonna be a firestorm for leaving a quality as an option on lossy, but we're adults here. Let's be civil.

And maybe this way we'll a trend not just within codecs but for everyone that's on here.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
KFal
post Jan 20 2011, 08:41
Post #2

Member No.: 67666

1. I use AAC. It is compatible with all devices I use for playback, but so is MP3. Originally I went for AAC in the past because it is the theoretically superior format and it appealed to me that I should get superior quality at the same file size when compared to MP3. I never really verified this but stuck to AAC because I was and still am happy with the quality it delivers. From all that I read and hear (listen to) there is no compelling reason to switch to any other lossy format.

2. Apple lossless is used as a CD backup and for playback on home audio and PC. I started off with FLAC but I now use iTunes to sync lossy music with my iPhone and various iPods. Using Apple lossless and AAC allows me to simultaneously edit my lossless and lossy files. There are a number of deficiencies in iTunes, e.g. handling of multiple artists, but the overall simplicity of the approach makes me stick to it.

3. I am using NeroAAC to encode at quality 0.5. Testing using ABX had shown that I could not reliably identify differences at that quality setting. I pondered if I should try going even lower to save space -- or rather higher to add some safety margin for not yet tested music. On one hand I had no storage problems on my portable players and on the other hand continued listening did not reveal problems. Overall I decided to stop fretting with quality settings and ever since I am happily just enjoying music.

--------------------
Apple Lossless
NeroAAC -q 0.5
dbPowerAmp Reference
+Quote Post
Nessuno
post Jan 21 2011, 09:00
Post #3

Member No.: 86562

QUOTE (KFal @ Jan 20 2011, 08:41) *
Apple lossless is used as a CD backup and for playback on home audio and PC. I started off with FLAC but I now use iTunes to sync lossy music with my iPhone and various iPods. Using Apple lossless and AAC allows me to simultaneously edit my lossless and lossy files. There are a number of deficiencies in iTunes, e.g. handling of multiple artists, but the overall simplicity of the approach makes me stick to it.

Excuse me, could you please explain better this point? Do you mean to say there is a way to have two differently encoded version of every track of your collection in different locations (say, lossy on internal HD and lossless on bigger external one) and keep their tags automagically in sync?

P. S. For the moderator: maybe this post should change subj or place. If so, please handle it properly. Thanks...

--------------------
... I live by long distance.
+Quote Post
KFal
post Jan 22 2011, 00:03
Post #4

Member No.: 67666

QUOTE (Nessuno @ Jan 21 2011, 10:00) *
QUOTE (KFal @ Jan 20 2011, 08:41) *
Apple lossless is used as a CD backup and for playback on home audio and PC. I started off with FLAC but I now use iTunes to sync lossy music with my iPhone and various iPods. Using Apple lossless and AAC allows me to simultaneously edit my lossless and lossy files. There are a number of deficiencies in iTunes, e.g. handling of multiple artists, but the overall simplicity of the approach makes me stick to it.

Excuse me, could you please explain better this point? Do you mean to say there is a way to have two differently encoded version of every track of your collection in different locations (say, lossy on internal HD and lossless on bigger external one) and keep their tags automagically in sync?

It's very simple indeed. I do keep lossy and lossless versions in separate locations and both versions are imported into iTunes. Since all relevant tags are identical, lossy and lossless tracs of an album for instance appear under the same album. (This applies in spirit to tracs without album.) If I want to change the album title for both lossy and lossless, it's just two steps to select and edit both kinds of tracs in one go. Similarly if I want to just change one individual trac, both lossless and lossy version sit next to each other in the iTunes listing and can be selected for a simultaneous edit. The same applies to all sorts of changes because iTunes has quite complex filtering capabilities and by default the lossy and lossless version always sit next to each other in the resulting display. Should that not be sufficient, then I resort to tools such as the mighty mp3tag where the changes have to be applied sequentially to both lossy and lossless -- but that may be due to my limited knowledge of advanced mp3tag features.

Syncing to iPods or iPhone is then simply done based on dynamic playlists which filter the collection and also filter out lossless files. Easy to set up and a smooth ride.

Kudos for the initial idea go to Kornchild, btw.

--------------------
Apple Lossless
NeroAAC -q 0.5
dbPowerAmp Reference
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- antman   What determines which encoders/settings you use. (2011)   Jan 4 2011, 01:14
- - mixminus1   Yay, a new year's poll! ...and I'm pr...   Jan 4 2011, 02:49
- - Cokemonkey11   I use MP3 for lossy because it's the most comp...   Jan 4 2011, 05:54
|- - TechVsLife   I now use AAC/M4A as lossy and apple lossless for ...   Jan 4 2011, 07:18
- - kornchild2002   1. I now use iTunes/QuickTime AAC for lossy encod...   Jan 4 2011, 12:33
- - DonP   The survey frames the questions with the assumptio...   Jan 4 2011, 14:24
- - Pri3st   Lossy: I use MP3 for compatibility - speed. Lossl...   Jan 4 2011, 15:25
- - lameboy   lossy: LAME MP3 lossless: FLAC lossy encode: V0 ...   Jan 4 2011, 15:42
- - zombiewerewolf   Lossy: Quality, AAC (Most electronic devices relea...   Jan 4 2011, 16:56
- - Notat   Lossy: MP3 for compatibility and because that...   Jan 4 2011, 17:07
- - dyneq   Agree with DonP that the poll is not well designed...   Jan 4 2011, 22:17
- - antman   QUOTE (dyneq @ Jan 4 2011, 15:17) Agree w...   Jan 4 2011, 22:40
|- - dyneq   QUOTE (antman @ Jan 4 2011, 17:40) I...   Jan 5 2011, 00:19
- - indybrett   Lossless FLAC 6 Lossy LAME v3 Both for hardware c...   Jan 4 2011, 22:45
- - DonP   wrt the choices on how I pick a rate, I've co...   Jan 4 2011, 23:15
- - Stephan37   Hi, y'all! Happy new year! I have jus...   Jan 4 2011, 23:46
- - UNHchabo   Lossy: Quality: I use Vorbis for my laptop and my ...   Jan 5 2011, 00:34
- - B7k   Flac for backups of my cd's lame mp3's @ ...   Jan 19 2011, 16:31
- - halb27   lossy: quality based best choice for me is lossyWA...   Jan 19 2011, 20:55
- - KFal   1. I use AAC. It is compatible with all devices I ...   Jan 20 2011, 08:41
|- - Nessuno   QUOTE (KFal @ Jan 20 2011, 08:41) Apple l...   Jan 21 2011, 09:00
|- - KFal   QUOTE (Nessuno @ Jan 21 2011, 10:00) QUOT...   Jan 22 2011, 00:03
- - hlloyge   Well, I primarily use FLAC for archiving, but will...   Jan 20 2011, 09:05
- - Canar   FLAC usually for mastered (ie. 16-bit) material. W...   Jan 20 2011, 21:29
- - uncajesse   Lossy: Quality, Lame V0... I think the first ques...   Jan 21 2011, 07:44
- - FelixIvory   1. I use AAC. 2. flac. 3. I am using the newest N...   Jan 21 2011, 12:44
- - Angenial   Lossy: Compatibility. I selected compatibility bec...   Jan 22 2011, 14:51
- - serkan   Lossless: FLAC, compatibility Lossy: MP3 (LAME), c...   Jan 29 2011, 13:27
- - yourlord   I have multiple reasons for my choices, but I vote...   Mar 2 2011, 23:49
- - Meeko   To fill in these blanks: I use MP3 for lossy for ...   Jun 27 2011, 19:16

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 08:43