Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Frequency response plots for Behringer MS16 needed
googlebot
post Nov 18 2010, 15:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78779

I just bought a pair of MS16 to occasionally watch movies in my office. For this kind of usage, I did not want to spend more than their price (40€). The sound is and considering the costs I think the speakers even have exceptional value. Still, their frequency response sounds far from flat and I think good equalization could give them a large boost. But for that I need data. The professional Behringers come with FR plots, but not this model. Can anyone help?

This post has been edited by googlebot: Nov 18 2010, 16:09
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Nov 18 2010, 17:11
Post #2

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (googlebot @ Nov 18 2010, 09:20) *
I just bought a pair of MS16 to occasionally watch movies in my office. For this kind of usage, I did not want to spend more than their price (40). The sound is and considering the costs I think the speakers even have exceptional value. Still, their frequency response sounds far from flat and I think good equalization could give them a large boost. But for that I need data. The professional Behringers come with FR plots, but not this model. Can anyone help?

To do what you seem to want to do *best*, you need a FR curve taken in the location you wish to use the speakers. It takes about $100 worth of hardware and software to do this.
+Quote Post
googlebot
post Nov 18 2010, 17:20
Post #3

Member No.: 78779

Of course, the FR curve at an actual listening position differs considerably from an anechoic chamber measurement. However, on average the correction of a low quality speaker according to its anechoic room measurement should be better than uncorrected, even if you make things worse for some ranges.

PS I just got confirmation, that I can borrow a ECM-8000 microphone in a week, so that I can record an impulse response with that. What would I have to do to with that file to get the inverse filter after feeding it into a convoluter?

This post has been edited by googlebot: Nov 18 2010, 17:37
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Nov 18 2010, 20:37
Post #4

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (googlebot @ Nov 18 2010, 11:20) *
Of course, the FR curve at an actual listening position differs considerably from an anechoic chamber measurement. However, on average the correction of a low quality speaker according to its anechoic room measurement should be better than uncorrected, even if you make things worse for some ranges.

Most speakers are located in a half-space (infinite plane or wall), quarter-space (infinitely tall corner) or eighth-space (corner that ends in a floor or ceiling), etc. If you try to correct the speaker for a full space (anechoic chamber) you will usually end up with tons of excess bass.

PS I just got confirmation, that I can borrow a ECM-8000 microphone in a week, so that I can record an impulse response with that. What would I have to do to with that file to get the inverse filter after feeding it into a convoluter?

Don't forget to use an appropriate mic preamp with phantom power to do right by that ECM8000.
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Nov 18 2010, 21:39
Post #5

Member No.: 46454

...so that I can record an impulse response with that. What would I have to do to with that file to get the inverse filter after feeding it into a convoluter?
You'll probably have to plot the frequency response and set your equalizer manually.

Or if you're using a computer as your A/V source, Vista and Win7 have "Room Correction" built in. (I've never tried it.)

And, I'm not sure if your RTA (Real Time Analyzer) software will use an impulse... I think pink noise or a swept-frequency tone are more common. Impulses are more-frequently used to measure/capture reverberation.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 23:23