IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's the mystery with tagging WAV files?
Hellosailor
post Nov 6 2010, 01:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85467

I really have tried searching online, and everyone seems to agree that it is impossible to tag a WAV file with any standard information. Not to argue about what "tag" means...but if you rip a cd with Windows Media Player, WMP embeds artist, track number, track title, and other information apparently in the head of the wav files. Other tools embed it in the tail of the file, so there are at least two conflicting ways to do this. And my attempts to use a hex editor and do it the hard way haven't been pretty, or effective.

So, what does it take (don't say "impossible" because it obviously is done by WMP) to enter the artist, title, track, etc. information in a WAV file in a way that both WMP and other tools will recognize it?

Are there really NO TOOLS AT ALL that can do what the clunker from Microsoft has done for so many years?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Antonski
post Nov 6 2010, 02:28
Post #2

Member No.: 250

There is no mystery. The specification allows for storing of data chunks either in the beginning or the end of file. However, most application use either the first or the second approach.
There is also a list of standard chunks defined by few specifications.
Most audio editors use (limited list of) chunks for storing metadata in wavs, just because they work mainly with wav files as a source.
Most audio players do not support wav chunks.
If you want to see an intelligent autio player/organizer, which support chunks in the beginning and the end of file, as well as UTF-8/system codepage switching, which treats the wav "tags" in the same way as all other tag formats, try MusicBee.
~~
+Quote Post
lvqcl
post Nov 6 2010, 02:34
Post #3

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

Audacity can write WAV files with INFO tags. dBpowerAMP Music Converter can do this too.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Nov 6 2010, 02:45
Post #4

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

This is probably baseless speculation, but are you certain WMP doesn't simply store that info in its database, not the WAV files?
+Quote Post
Rio
post Nov 6 2010, 05:42
Post #5

Member No.: 38799

Audiograbber also had the ability to store tags for its ripped WAVs, but its for its own use for future encodings. IIRC the tags are appended at the end of the WAV. Other software may have trouble of playing these WAVs with tags.

--------------------
"Listen to me...
Never take unsolicited advice..."
+Quote Post
lvqcl
post Nov 6 2010, 10:09
Post #6

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

By the way: WMP 12 writes 'LIST' chunk first, then 'fmt ' chunk. Both Audacity and dMC do the opposite: 'fmt ' chunk first, then 'LIST'. Probably that's why WMP cannot read tags from these files.

(usual advice: use lossless formats with proper tagging support)
+Quote Post
Hellosailor
post Nov 9 2010, 04:43
Post #7

Member No.: 85467

Thanks, all. I will look at some of those suggestions but can tell you that WMP does indeed store info in the WAV file, at the top of the file. And it does not recognize anything that Audacity (1.2.x, the non-beta version) stores in WAV files, unless there's some option I haven't found yet on that. More to follow.
+Quote Post
Roseval
post Feb 22 2011, 14:37
Post #8

Member No.: 52303

In case of WMP11:
Only when ripping a CD to WAV a couple of RIFF Info Tags are written.
You can't change them afterwards.
The tags are:
IART (artist)
INAM (title)
IPRD (product)
IGNR (genre)
ITOC (?)
ITRK (track number)

Don't know if this is changed in WMP12 as I stopped using WMP

--------------------
TheWellTemperedComputer.com
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 00:58