IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Good Software for cleaning up various vinyl/tape noise?
powerstone05
post Nov 4 2010, 04:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81677

Asking for advice on software that has a good different range of different 'filters' or 'effects' that can be applied to reduce noise/pops/clicks on records & cassette tapes. I know that Spin It Again has good filters however I'm curious if anyone knows of similar or better software.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Nov 4 2010, 17:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

I use Wave Repair. It does take lot's of time, but most vinyl clicks & pops can removed completely with no audible side-effects. And, it doesn't "touch" the sound except exactly where you tell it to.

(I don't have an opinion on the other software.... It's been a few years since I chose Wave Repair... It worked well and it was affordable.)

Also, If I can add, would it be better quality to record cassette tape audio with the tape type filter selected on the tape deck itself (normal, metal, CRO2) or to record it with no analog filter and do it digitally afterward.
It would be better to bypass the cassette deck and record directly to the computer. And if you're recording from microphones, it would be best to get a USB or firewire device with mic inputs because the mic preamps built-into regular soundcards are generally not that good. Or, use a mixer and run the mixer's line-out into the computer's line-in. Or, get a digital recorder.

Otherwise, you should use the setting that matches the tape (for both recording & playback). It's not simply a filter, it's also bias adjustment. And, Dolby noise reduction should be on for both recoring & playback.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Nov 4 2010, 18:11
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 15:03