IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
How do you reliably ABX equipment that needs to be disconnected, and how can TOS #8 be satisfied in such situations?
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Feb 6 2011, 14:06
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (knutinh @ Dec 29 2010, 08:45) *
QUOTE (saratoga @ Dec 29 2010, 06:21) *
Thats probably fine from a blindness perspective, however unless the differences are quite large I think the long time it'll take to switch samples will make it impossible for you to detect a difference. So your test will be blind, but also probably give you a negative result smile.gif

A valid concern. Switch-over times significantly in excess of 1 second cut listener sensitivity to actual differences in tests we've done to find out the effects of switchover delays.

If one cannot remember the audible impression from sound gadget #1 over a time-span of 5 minutes well enough to reliably compare it to sound gadget #2, what does that say about the benefit I would get in my home stereo if I bought one instead of the other? After all, if I purchase a new amplifier, I do not expect to rapidly switch back and forth between it and the older one for the products lifetime.

This is a critical point. Very few people are able to achieve switchover times that are signfiicantly less than 5 seconds. But, a 5 second or longer switch over delay pretty well destroys listener sensitivity to small differences.

We built hardware switching equipment that reduced switchover dealys to less than a quarter of a second and this boosted our sensitivity to small differences that were actually audible. The technique is described in Clark's JAES paper, and I can asnwer questions about it because I developed it over a period of several years.

The bottom line is that most golden ear A/B tests are inherently *not sensitive* to small differences, should they actually exist, because of their lengthy switchover times.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 10:10