IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MP3 to OGG
different
post Oct 30 2010, 22:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85081

I spent an hour reading this board before deciding to registering an account and posting this question. I am undergrad computer science student working on a project that will convert a MP3 to the OGG format using CUDA C. CUDA C is one of the languages that allows one to run programs on the NVidia GPU.

The project that was assigned to me was given a MP3 file, convert it to the OGG format. I never had to write an audio program before but my understanding since both the MP3 and OGG formats are lossy that it is not recommended to convert directly from MP3 to OGG. Anyways, the question I have is how should I start doing this assignment? I spent sometime looking online for algorithms to rewrite to run on the GPU but I couldn't come across any - I just found existing DLL files to use.

Thanks for any input given.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
different
post Oct 31 2010, 23:36
Post #2

Member No.: 85081

Hi Bullit,

Thanks for feedback.

I vaguely remember DirectCompute when it was announced awhile back. I keep my options open so I will look at this again. I remember reading about OpenCL, but unforunately I need to use CUDA C for the first iteration of my program. However, I will keep my code flexible to allow "quick" support for OpenCL.

Based on what people have said in this thread and additional reading that I have done since, this is a rough-draft of what I will be doing in this order.

- Convert a WAV to OGG using the Vorbis codec where most of the work will be done on the GPU.
- Convert a AVI to OGG using the Theora codec where most of the work will be done on the GPU.

Based on my experience and what I learn implementing these two items, I will then decide what to do next.
+Quote Post
Bullit
post Oct 31 2010, 23:48
Post #3

Member No.: 84390

QUOTE (different @ Oct 31 2010, 23:36) *
- Convert a WAV to OGG using the Vorbis codec where most of the work will be done on the GPU.
- Convert a AVI to OGG using the Theora codec where most of the work will be done on the GPU.

Here's the thing about AVI though. It's BIG. Lossless AVI files are huge, and lossless compressed AVI files are still 50% huge.

If I were you, I would consider WAV > OGG simply because the files are smaller and more manageable.

I'm assuming you're using Theora because it's very open source and alot of documentation is available for it. As a codec, Theora is pretty sucky in terms of quality and compression but it's fast so I guess it's good for streaming content... it's still better than what youtube is using at least. x264 is miles ahead in quality but I can't comment if it's more difficult for you to implement compared to Theora. Both of these options would be more time consuming and more difficult than just audio compression. Video compression is hard stuff.

If you're going with option 2, Doom9.org is a great forum if you're looking for assistance. I know some x264 developers frequent it, but I don't know about the Theora guys. The boys at Doom9 can point you in the right direction whatever video codec you're looking into.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with your project.

This post has been edited by Bullit: Nov 1 2010, 00:07
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 23:44