IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MP3 to OGG
different
post Oct 30 2010, 22:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85081

I spent an hour reading this board before deciding to registering an account and posting this question. I am undergrad computer science student working on a project that will convert a MP3 to the OGG format using CUDA C. CUDA C is one of the languages that allows one to run programs on the NVidia GPU.

The project that was assigned to me was given a MP3 file, convert it to the OGG format. I never had to write an audio program before but my understanding since both the MP3 and OGG formats are lossy that it is not recommended to convert directly from MP3 to OGG. Anyways, the question I have is how should I start doing this assignment? I spent sometime looking online for algorithms to rewrite to run on the GPU but I couldn't come across any - I just found existing DLL files to use.

Thanks for any input given.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
[JAZ]
post Oct 31 2010, 10:02
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2383

Every time I read someone that has to make a project for a degree in the university where the task is comparable to make a commercial program, I wonder if the teacher is (ab)using their students, or if neither the teacher nor the student understand what they are going to do.

So, you want to make an mp3/mp2 audio decoder (MPEG video uses mp2, avi with divx/xvid tend to use mp3, but they can also contain the AC3 track from the original DVD), an MPEG 2 video decoder, an MPEG4 video decoder (Divx/Xvid is basically mpeg4 video), an OGG encoder and then, I guess, a theora or WebM video encoder.

All that in CUDA, and... in how many man hours?

A perceptual encoder (and here we're talking about the good ones) is not like making a .zip compressor. The task you describe implies understanding a lot of concepts, and even in that case, the task is big. Basically, you want to make FFMPEG. (except with not that many encoders/decoders).
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 22:53