Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Glue cleaning, An interesting approach to cleaning records
Canar
post Sep 21 2010, 19:07
Post #1

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 2796

http://www.andrewdubber.com/2010/07/gluing-my-records/

The guy coats a record in glue, waits for it to set, then peels it off. Apparently it works very well. I'm not sure how it compares to other techniques, so I figured I'd run it by you guys and see what you think.

--------------------
You cannot ABX the rustling of jimmies.
No mouse? No problem.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
analog scott
post Sep 22 2010, 17:30
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 71796

There are a lot of different PVC glues with various ingredients. I would be very cautious.
+Quote Post
googlebot
post Sep 22 2010, 18:07
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 78779

QUOTE (analog scott @ Sep 22 2010, 18:30) *
There are a lot of different PVC glues with various ingredients. I would be very cautious.

PVC glue would mean a 100% record destruction guarantee, that's why PVA glue has been recommended... wink.gif

But I would also not recommend to use this method. It may work with very old pure PVC records, but for a couple of decades vinyl records are being made of a PVC/PVA copolymer (about 5-15% PVA). At the time of pressing the shorter chained PVA molecules even move preferably to the outer surface. So if you are unlucky you end up with an inseparable PVA/PVA bond in the end.

This post has been edited by googlebot: Sep 22 2010, 18:08
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Sep 22 2010, 19:37
Post #4

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

QUOTE (googlebot @ Sep 22 2010, 18:07) *
But I would also not recommend to use this method. It may work with very old pure PVC records, but for a couple of decades vinyl records are being made of a PVC/PVA copolymer (about 5-15% PVA). At the time of pressing the shorter chained PVA molecules even move preferably to the outer surface. So if you are unlucky you end up with an inseparable PVA/PVA bond in the end.
...OK, but PVA is water soluble - wouldn't 10% PVA in vinyl mean that you simply can't wash these records without making the surface dissolve?! Or does the 90% PVC cancel this effect? (I dropped Chemistry!).

Cheers,
David.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 01:09