IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Surround vorbis
electrick
post Sep 14 2010, 23:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 83864

I'm ripping movies to mkv files with x264 video and surround vorbis sound (5.1 or higher). What's might be the lowest bitrate or quality level used to not destroy the surround channel effects?
Also, so far I have only figured out how to rip dvd. If I get around to bluray, some movies use 7.1. Is vorbis good for 7.1 also? And do you think it has a future?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
odyssey
post Sep 15 2010, 00:53
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6695

I'm probably in for some bashing here, BUT:

I did some tests a while ago, to find a way to compress AC3/DTS more than the usual 384kbit found on DVD's. I tried both AAC and OGG - The results? Not good... They aren't optimized for multichannel. The way I understand it; they don't do something similar to "Joint Stereo" to optimize bit-usage. I wasn't able to lower the bitrate much more than the 384kbit without sacrifying audible quality, and then it's quite pointless. Therefore I keep the AC3 track when I "Handbrake" my DVD's into x264 smile.gif

And do you think it has a future?

Blurays store the audio in much higher bitrates. You may be able to benefit more from transcoding these to a lower bitrate. You can use eac3to to do that.

Really, I think the future is not so limiting on the storage-side. I would much rather keep the encodings as they are and just buy a larger harddrive, now they are so cheap smile.gif

This post has been edited by odyssey: Sep 15 2010, 00:58

--------------------
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 11:39