IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Should I convert my ALAC collection to AAC or Ogg?
AlphaWire
post Jun 25 2010, 17:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81817

I recently converted my Apple Lossless albums to MP3 -V0 with dBpoweramp Pro, which slashed my original obese 33GB to an anorexic 9.9GB. Perfect! since saving HD space on my low rent laptop was my prime intention.

Then I listened to them on my iPhone. Whole different story, I thought it was awful. The quality was no where to be found. My albums started to sound like someone was pounding them through a gritty filter. Just awful.

So I remember a friend telling me all about this new advance codec: AAC. The supposed successor to MP3.
Then I remember my other friend bragging about Ogg Vorbis. He said it was the highest quality codec ever in lossy.

Now I'm not an idiot, I don't plan on enjoying artifacts in my albums because I convert lossy (MP3 -V0) to lossy (AAC).
I planned ahead and had my original Apple Lossless collection stored in storage.

I love having my albums in my iTunes. Call me crazy but iTunes seems alot more uniformed and organized than any other software (reason why I ripped my CD's to ALAC instead of FLAC).

To my point, should I convert my ALAC albums to AAC or Ogg (In terms of quality to space consumed ratio)? Is there a better codec?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
rohangc
post Jun 26 2010, 15:36
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3948

QUOTE (AlphaWire @ Jun 25 2010, 11:13) *
Then I listened to them on my iPhone. Whole different story, I thought it was awful. The quality was no where to be found. My albums started to sound like someone was pounding them through a gritty filter. Just awful.

Try this test:
  • Load a song encoded in the ALAC format and the same song in the V0 MP3 format into your iPhone.
  • Ask a friend to play the ALAC song first and then the MP3 at V0.
  • Ask the friend to now play one of the two tracks randomly. The point here is to prevent you from knowing what file is being played.
  • Now try to identify the audio format - whether it is ALAC or MP3.

Don't be surprised if you can't tell the difference between the two. If you do, then please post the details of what you did to obtain the V0 MP3s from your ALAC files like the software you used to transcode the tracks, the settings, etc.

If you cannot provide the results of this test and the required information, your post should be considered as a violation of TOS #8.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:14