IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Should I convert my ALAC collection to AAC or Ogg?
AlphaWire
post Jun 25 2010, 17:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81817

I recently converted my Apple Lossless albums to MP3 -V0 with dBpoweramp Pro, which slashed my original obese 33GB to an anorexic 9.9GB. Perfect! since saving HD space on my low rent laptop was my prime intention.

Then I listened to them on my iPhone. Whole different story, I thought it was awful. The quality was no where to be found. My albums started to sound like someone was pounding them through a gritty filter. Just awful.

So I remember a friend telling me all about this new advance codec: AAC. The supposed successor to MP3.
Then I remember my other friend bragging about Ogg Vorbis. He said it was the highest quality codec ever in lossy.

Now I'm not an idiot, I don't plan on enjoying artifacts in my albums because I convert lossy (MP3 -V0) to lossy (AAC).
I planned ahead and had my original Apple Lossless collection stored in storage.

I love having my albums in my iTunes. Call me crazy but iTunes seems alot more uniformed and organized than any other software (reason why I ripped my CD's to ALAC instead of FLAC).

To my point, should I convert my ALAC albums to AAC or Ogg (In terms of quality to space consumed ratio)? Is there a better codec?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 03:42