Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Great ADC for Vinyl record listening/recording
wgh52
post May 2 2010, 11:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 80337

Folks,

I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask, so if this fits better somewhere else, please moderator > shift to the right place.

The Situation:
Owning a few hundred vinyl records, I really enjoy playing those on my SL-1000 II
My Audio Listening line has become mostly digital due to the use of a DEQX digital Preamp/X-Over for my active speakers.
I'm swithching digital sources (CD, Minidisk, Satellite Radio, PC, ...) with an electronic SPDIF switch feeding the DEQX digital input
I'm not using an analog preamp anymore, besides the Phono pre.

My Desire:
For ease of use (only switching sources at the SPDIF swith) and quality purposes (need 24 bit / 96 ks/s!), I'm looking to connect the Phono/RIAA Preamp to a well working, stand alone AD-converter.

The ADC shall have:
Separate (R/L) input level adjustment (to compensate cartridge chanle differences)
Capability for 24 bit / 96 ks/s and 24 bit/192 ks/s through AES/EBU and SPDIF Coax outputs
Normal HiFi line level input sensitivity
A bearable price well under 1000 Euros

I have found very few alternatives so far, so as this forum seems very analog AND digital "competent", I though I'd join and ask you folks for help and recommendations.

Thanks in adance!
Winfried
from Germany

This post has been edited by wgh52: May 2 2010, 11:20
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post May 3 2010, 19:50
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

The only feature I could not find is a facility to adjust left/right channel balance, because many cartridges to produce up to 2 dB channel difference; and I want to compensate this.
You might want to take the next logical step and digitize your recordings... (You can burn CDs and/or make FLAC files, etc.) IMO, you don't need a 1000 Euro ADC or soundcard to do an adequate job. Then you can digitally (and permanently) correct channel-balance problems* and more importantly, you can remove most of the "snap, crackle, and pop". And, many older vinyl recordings seem to be a bit dull sounding (rolled-off high frequencies), so I often add a few dB of high-end boost when I digitize older records.

For removing vinyl nose, I use Wave Repair ($30 USD) and it does an amazing job removing most defects. However, it can be very time consuming, and there are alternatives, including fully-automated de-clicking programs.

But first, I'd consider upgrading your collection to CD if the CDs are available. (For 1000 Euro, you can replace many of your records with "digitally perfect" copies. And, you can stretch your budget a bit further if you can find used CDs.)

* GoldWave ($50 USD) has a cool automatic channel-balancing feature called Max/Match which makes the left & right average levels equal while maximizing (normalizing) the overall volume. (Of course, you can alternatively make the left & right peaks equal, adjust by ear, etc.)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th December 2014 - 08:27