IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vorbis Versions - extreme static (using csvorbis) - sounds like untun
james_lohr
post Apr 12 2010, 09:37
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 2
Joined: 12-April 10
Member No.: 79801



Hello,

I'm writing a piece of software in C# which uses csvorbis and csogg.

I downloaded an example which came with a piece of music called "Battle.ogg" - the example plays this fine; however, any attempt to play any other .ogg file (I've tried multiple encoders) simply gives massive static / distortion. It sounds like an untuned TV/radio.

The fact that I do have an OGG file that it does play fine makes me believe that it's a versioning issue. The OGG file that does work will also work in other players (such as VLC Player).

As an experiment, I took the working OGG file and re-encoded it. The new file still did not work with the example, and still worked fine in VLC player.

Can you think of any reason as to why this would be happening?

Is it possible to determine exactly how the workign OGG file was encoded, and somehow encode stuff in the same way so that it works?

Could it be something very simple like having the wrong bitrate or some other setting?

Could it be the OGG part of the library being broken (rather than the Vorbis part) ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

James L


[edit] - After further investigation, I've discovered that the working OGG file was encoded using libvorbis 1.0 (release 20020717). Any idea how I can encode files in exactly this format, or modify my library to play more recent formats?

This post has been edited by james_lohr: Apr 12 2010, 10:18
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
james_lohr
post Apr 12 2010, 16:25
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 2
Joined: 12-April 10
Member No.: 79801



Problem solved.

The issue was actually with how I was passing the decoded data stream to OpenAL to actually play: I had the format set to Stero 8-bit when it was actually Mono 16-bit.

Incidentally - it was possible to check the version of the ogg file using the ogginfo.exe helper (provided by libvorbis). This allowed me to identify the exact version used for the encoding, and download it from the libvorbis file resource. I'm not even sure this was necessary, but, if nothing else, it helped me deduce the the issue was not with the version of the encoder.

This post has been edited by james_lohr: Apr 12 2010, 16:27
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 02:48