IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Extract FLAC from MKV and Convert to AC3?
consultant
post Apr 2 2010, 23:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12240

I've having the toughest time figuring out how to extract the FLAC audio from an MKV and then convert it to AC3 so I can remux to a VOB or m2ts to play via USB HDD on my Playstation 3.

I tried the MKVExtract in MKVToolnix. MKCEXtractGUI won't demux FLAC. So I tried command line like this:

mkvextract --no-ogg source.mkv 1:video.264 2:audio.flac

It is interesting even though I used --no-ogg options the status message still says it is writting to ogg container. Does the no-ogg option not work so this is causing the problem?

Then I tried EAC2ToGUI and I get "the format of the source file cannot be detected" I get a similar error if I try to play the .FLAC file in VLC but after it displays
the error, it plays fine anyway.

Help!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Kohlrabi
post Jan 4 2013, 14:29
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 20561

QUOTE (nastea @ Jan 4 2013, 13:56) *
QUOTE (Soap @ Jan 4 2013, 13:49) *
I've never seen a kangaroo, but if someone asked me how to extract a Joey from its mother's pouch I wouldn't tell OP kangaroo's don't exist!

Your kangaroo talk isn't really helping the OP.
How was your misinformation about MKV any more helpful? MKV can store virtually any audio or video codec, just because certain dubious sources use it to spread movies across the net with certain codecs doesn't mean it's limited to that.

Also, this thread already has a plethora of good solutions to the problem at hand. For completeness' sake, let's have the full ffmpeg commandline to mux to MPEG2-TS:
CODE
ffmpeg -i videofile -i audiofile.mkv -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k -c:s copy out.m2ts

If the MKV containing the FLAC does also contain the video stream, you can of course omit the "-i videofile". Also you may have to specify the number of channels for ac3 encoding if the FLAC is multichannel ("-ac 6").

This post has been edited by Kohlrabi: Jan 4 2013, 14:30

--------------------
Ceterum censeo Masterdiskem esse delendam.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 02:13