Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

FLAC to OGG with dbpoweramp
h8uthemost
post Mar 7 2010, 12:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47102

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to convert some albums to OGG straight from FLAC to put on my portable player, but with the best possible settings in dbpoweramp. So what slider setting should I use, and what setting in the Frequency and Channels box?

I usually always converted to mp3 V0. So is there a V0'ish quality with OGG? I pretty much know nothing about this format. But...I did read that OGG is supposed to have a superior sound over MP3, and in a smaller file size? Hope that's true.

I just converted an album to V0(slider all the way to the right on dbpoweramp, estimated bitrate 240kbps), and the album size came out to 61MB. Then, I took the same album and converted to OGG. And I slid the slider all the way to the right(estimated bitrate 500kbps, -q1 setting, under vbr setting), and the album came out to 119MB. So that's obviously not the setting that I'm wanting since the file size is so big. My bitrate setting was too high I'm guessing.

I tried one more time with the slider down to estimated bitrate of 224kbps(-q0.7 setting under vbr setting), and the file size came out to 55MB. So I'm guessing this is more along the lines of the setting that I'm wanting? Or would it be possible to go down to an even lower bitrate for smaller file size, but not really having to sacrifice sound quality?

Basically I'm wanting a setting with good sound quality, but with a small file size.

Thanks for any help.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Porcus
post Mar 9 2010, 06:42
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 38207

Just in case you don't know:

If you intend to test different bitrates, make sure to convert from the FLAC file every time. Do not re-encode successively from 256 to 192 to 160 to 144 to 128 to 108 to 96, as you must then expect quality loss (i.e. artifacts audible at a frequency where a conversion from lossless source would be transparent).

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 06:05