IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

.pcm file to .wav format
Cincodekyle
post Mar 5 2010, 06:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78727

I'm working on converting a .pcm file to a .wav file with GoldWave. I'm not sure if any other programs out there support headerless raw file types, but anyway I'm not able to hear a clean version of the file. I tried opening the file as raw, 16-bit sound with a 44.1 kHz sampling rate. All I hear is a high-pitched squeal, similar to the way rewinding an old video tape sounds, so I'm assuming the sampling rate is too high.

Any tips for playing PCM files?

Here's a screenshot:

This post has been edited by Cincodekyle: Mar 5 2010, 06:32
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
[JAZ]
post Mar 5 2010, 21:31
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2383

@halverhahn: Sorry, but your logic is erroneous.

Like pdq said, loading in a different sampling rate won't magically maintain the frequency band, but change it aswell. A 440Hz tone sampled at 22Khz is a 880Hz tone if loaded at 44Khz.

@Cincodekyle: Looks like you have the correct endianess, but like Mike said, you should try loading it in mono instead of stereo and/or loading it in 8bits instead of 16bits. If bitdepth is really 16bits, it will sound very distorted in 8bits, so if it sounds okish with 8bits it surely is 8bits.

About stereo or mono, there's no easy way to tell without knowing it, but if it is stereo, it may sound more distorted in mono. (that depends if it is a two channel mono, or stereo with different enough content)

At last, as you should know, reducing the samplerate will help you reduce the speed, but first check if you have the proper bitdepth and channel numbers
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 14:37