IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Numark TTUSB turntable volume problems, How to increase the volume of converting vinyl
chipdominator
post Feb 7 2010, 13:07
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 77953

Hello there,
I have converted some vinlys to my mac and then burnt them to a CD, but the sound volume on the CD is very low, different to a CD that you buy from the shop. Does anyone know how to increase the sound when you burn a CD or convert from vinly to the PC. THanks in advance regards.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AndyH-ha
post Feb 7 2010, 23:41
Post #2

Member No.: 24222

There are several different factors involved. If these are older phonograph records, they are not mastered to the same butchered standards as current pop and rock. You will need some significant skill (and the software wherein to use that skill) to approach those standards. Look up ďthe loudness warĒ if you are new to the topic.

The peak level of what you record into your computer may be quite low because of the nature of the your recording chain. A pre-amplifier in between RIAA phono preamp and soundcard might make a big difference.

Another way to get pretty much the same result is to apply amplification to the recorded file before writing it to CD-R. Most audio editors can do this easily. There are also a number of stand-alone utilities that will achieve the same result. Some people believe there is some magic in some of these utilities because they only change the result that is written to your CD-R, not the source file, but what ends up on the CD is the same either way.

The result of either of these two simple amplifications is the same as turning up the volume on your listening equipment, except that some small players may not have enough amplification power to achieve comparable results. The dynamic range of the audio will remain the same as on the analogue source.

In-between simple amplification, either pre-digital or after recording, and attempts at complete re-mastering (which you canít fully accomplish because you donít have the original source that went into making the LP) is applying some digital transformations such as compression, limiting, and selective EQing. For this, patience, experience, skill, decent software, and good studio-like monitoring are necessary. Since you are asking the question, you probably donít have these, so the results you (may) want will only come from the determination to put in the time (and money) to become expert enough to suit your tastes.
+Quote Post
chipdominator
post Feb 8 2010, 00:23
Post #3

Member No.: 77953

Hi AndyH-Ha

Thanks for the info, I will try at least to start with an audio editor and see how it goes. My brother mentioned a pre-amp to me last night as well. so will look into that as well.

I appreciate the time taken to get back to me
regards

QUOTE (AndyH-ha @ Feb 8 2010, 08:41) *
There are several different factors involved. If these are older phonograph records, they are not mastered to the same butchered standards as current pop and rock. You will need some significant skill (and the software wherein to use that skill) to approach those standards. Look up ďthe loudness warĒ if you are new to the topic.

The peak level of what you record into your computer may be quite low because of the nature of the your recording chain. A pre-amplifier in between RIAA phono preamp and soundcard might make a big difference.

Another way to get pretty much the same result is to apply amplification to the recorded file before writing it to CD-R. Most audio editors can do this easily. There are also a number of stand-alone utilities that will achieve the same result. Some people believe there is some magic in some of these utilities because they only change the result that is written to your CD-R, not the source file, but what ends up on the CD is the same either way.

The result of either of these two simple amplifications is the same as turning up the volume on your listening equipment, except that some small players may not have enough amplification power to achieve comparable results. The dynamic range of the audio will remain the same as on the analogue source.

In-between simple amplification, either pre-digital or after recording, and attempts at complete re-mastering (which you canít fully accomplish because you donít have the original source that went into making the LP) is applying some digital transformations such as compression, limiting, and selective EQing. For this, patience, experience, skill, decent software, and good studio-like monitoring are necessary. Since you are asking the question, you probably donít have these, so the results you (may) want will only come from the determination to put in the time (and money) to become expert enough to suit your tastes.

+Quote Post
cliveb
post Feb 8 2010, 10:13
Post #4

WaveRepair developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 15845

QUOTE (chipdominator @ Feb 7 2010, 23:23) *
Thanks for the info, I will try at least to start with an audio editor and see how it goes. My brother mentioned a pre-amp to me last night as well. so will look into that as well.

The thread title implies you're using a USB turntable. If that's the case, then you aren't in a position to insert a preamp in front of the A/D converter. If the TT has analogue outputs as well as USB, then you could use that to feed a normal soundcard (and insert a preamp if necessary).
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 15:52