IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Evaluating the Sound Quality of Ipod Music Stations:Part 1, Listening Tests on Ipod Music Stations
solive
post Feb 6 2010, 03:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12173

Here is a new article I posted about issues in designing listening tests on Ipod Music Stations with an illustrative video attached.

In parts 2 and 3, I intend to show some subjective and objective results of some recent tests we performed on this category of products.

Cheers
Sean Olive
Audio Musings

This post has been edited by solive: Feb 6 2010, 03:46

--------------------
Sean Olive
[url="http://seanolive.com"]Audio Musings[/url]
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
andy o
post Feb 7 2010, 21:07
Post #2

Member No.: 68950

And talk about nonsensical:

Wadia's $349 iTransport can take the digital signal out of an iPod before the DAC, outputting 16-bit/44.1khz resolution for uncompressed files—it doesn't upconvert lower-rez files like MP3s, but it does reformat them to 16/44.1, according to Wadia's John Schaffer.

Usually when audiophiles talk nonsense they try to mask it with "quantum wording", but here the guy is not even making an effort!
+Quote Post
rpp3po
post Feb 7 2010, 22:13
Post #3

Group: Developer
Member No.: 4961

At least they are not lying, but just use some queer wording. The iTransport actually bypasses the iPod's DAC and accesses the iPod's files in USB host mode. It copies them to its internal memory where they are decoded ("reformatted" to 16/44.1) and fed into the iTransport's digital output, which has its own clock source.

This post has been edited by rpp3po: Feb 7 2010, 23:20
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Mar 5 2010, 15:34
Post #4

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (rpp3po @ Feb 7 2010, 16:13) *
At least they are not lying, but just use some queer wording. The iTransport actually bypasses the iPod's DAC and accesses the iPod's files in USB host mode. It copies them to its internal memory where they are decoded ("reformatted" to 16/44.1) and fed into the iTransport's digital output, which has its own clock source.

Interesting. So the Wadia is essentially working like a PC that is playing music from an iPod that is being used as a storage device.

I took a peek at the Stereophile review and see that there are actually no technical tests other than for bit-perfect reproduction. They seem to be taking the view that bit-perfect copies are sufficient for sonic accuracy. There is an opporutity to involve the jitter myth, but they seem to have sloughed it. Should I cheer? ;-)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 17:37