Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Extract dialogue from movie?
igregon
post Nov 23 2009, 02:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75205

Hi everyone,
I have a project where I need to extract just the dialogue from a movie, without any of the backing music or sound effects. I managed to rip the 5.1 track off the DVD, unfortunately though, the centre track contains dialogue as well as background music. The left and right tracks however, only contain the background music.
I was wondering if there was a way to mix the centre track and a left or right track and make the background music "cancel out" somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Mar 14 2012, 23:42
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

I need extract dialogue from other sound too. Can someone write guide how to do it? I want to change dialogue in movie, but both dialogues has differents backround sounds.
What format is your file. How many channels?

There are limits to what you can do. You can't un-fry an egg or un-bake a cake, and you can't un-mix an audio track.

If you want to professionally "dub-in" another language to a movie soundtrack, there are two ways to do it. 1. Get the original un-mixed audio, create the new dialog tracks, and re-mix. 2. Re-create and replace ALL of the dialog, sound effects, and music.

Of course, if you have a 5.1 mix and the dialog is in the center channel, you can replace the entire center channel. Or, if the talking is on the left and the sound effects are on the right, it's easy to edit one or the other. If you have a 2-channel stereo file, there are some "tricks" you can do with the "phantom center channel". If you have a mono file, there is nothing you can do.

Or, if the dialog and music or background sounds are not happening at the same time, of course you an edit the dialog. For example if the actors are talking and then there's an explosion, you can change the talking without touching the explosion.

But if the actors are talking, and a car drives by while they are talking, or if there is music playing in the background while they are talking, then it's impossible to change the dialog without affecting the background sound (unless the background sound is in another channel, such as the rear channels).

Or, if you want to censor-out foul language, you can silence those parts, "bleep-out" those parts, cut-out the audio and video for those parts, or "scramble" the sound with only a small amount of damage to the background sound.

Do you have an audio editor? Audacity is FREE!

If you have a 2-channel stereo file, did you try Center Cut GUI? GoldWave ($50 USD) has a similar tool called Stereo Center and There is a FREE plug-in for Winamp (FREE) called DSP Center Cut. These tools can basically kill the phantom center channel, or kill the sides and keep only the center. (These things can be fun to play with, but you rarely get "professional quality" results...)

P.S
If you have a commercially released DVD, there are a couple more complications. Most commercial DVDs are copy protected. There is software to crack the copy protection, but it's illegal in most countries and we don't discuss it on this forum.

Then, when you extract (rip) the move from the DVD into a regular audio/video file format that can be edited, you loose the menus (and any subtitles). If you want to keep the DVD format, you will have to re-create menus (and subtitles) and re-author the DVD with DVD-authoring software.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Mar 14 2012, 23:58
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 10:41