IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lossless iTunes for Linux
agillis
post Nov 11 2009, 23:21
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 62428

I am writing a script to convert FLAC files to iTunes. I need a way to encode files on Linux that work with iTunes. I haven't been able to get this to work yet. The format I use must be

1. lossless (I'd love to use Apple Lossless but theirs no encoder for Linux)
2. Have ID3 tags so the track info shows up in iTunes when you import the file (WAV is out)
3. I must be able to encode these files under Linux (no I don't want to use Wine or any way to run windows binaries under Linux)
4. Optionaly it would be nice is these files were the same size as my FLAC files (about 30% small then WAV)

How about AIFF? I have been able get the FLACs to AIFF but I can't get the ID3 tags to convert over.

I'm really stuck on this one. There has to be a format that works.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jcoalson
post Nov 12 2009, 06:50
Post #2

FLAC Developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 1408

sure, encode and tag the flacs on linux, import them directly into itunes via fluke. or maybe I'm just not understanding what you want to do.

edit: just to be crystal clear: fluke lets you import flac files into itunes. they are not converted to another format, but they play back within itunes and itunes can see the tags.

This post has been edited by jcoalson: Nov 12 2009, 07:38
+Quote Post
agillis
post Nov 12 2009, 19:08
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 62428

QUOTE (jcoalson @ Nov 12 2009, 00:50) *
sure, encode and tag the flacs on linux, import them directly into itunes via fluke. or maybe I'm just not understanding what you want to do.

edit: just to be crystal clear: fluke lets you import flac files into itunes. they are not converted to another format, but they play back within itunes and itunes can see the tags.

I want to be able to rip CDs to a server then have users be able to import the files into iTunes. This solution must work on both Windows and MAC (fluke just works on MAC) I don't want the users to have to load any plugins or software on their PCs. This needs to be really easy. I already have this working with a script called FLAC mirror. It will mirror FLACs as mp3s. This works really well for importing into iTunes accept for the quality loss.

So the question is there any way to convert FLACs to an iTunes compatible file (lossless) with all the ID3 tags intact and not having to use any plugins or extra software on the iTunes end.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 09:31