IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What DSPs and in which order for reduce Tape Hiss?
servimo
post Oct 18 2009, 22:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 42330

I have a lot of FLACs recorded from cassete tapes and want to know if there is a away by using DSPs and in which order to reduce the Hiss during playback? And If there is a good Equalizer preset that do the trick? Noise Sharpening or Dolby Headphones could be for this thing? I know that I could try out, but I want to try some others experiments with this from others. I mean exchange experience (Google translation)

This post has been edited by servimo: Oct 18 2009, 23:06
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
odyssey
post Oct 19 2009, 01:55
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6695

I don't think you can (easily). You can probably find some nice VST's that does this and use the VST wrapper, but it will be applied to all the tracks you listen to, then.

Hiss reduction is not easily to get rid of. It is not tied to a certain frequency, but rather a large spectrum of frequencies (much like white noise)

You need an advanced filter to sort out random noise and while it may have somewhat good effects on your tape-recordings, it will probably destroy parts of music with weird alien-like artifacts. If you find a good VST with configurable settings, you might be better off converting the needed tracks with VST plugin applied to different files, however the best approach might be to edit them in an audio editor.

--------------------
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 12:56