IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

is lossless MP2 to MPC conversion possible?, goal: reduce bitrate of existing files.
smack
post Sep 13 2009, 11:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1046

The wiki articles on Musepack say that it's extended from the MP2 codec, e.g. Hydrogenaudio Wiki and Wikipedia

Does anybody know if it's feasible to losslessly convert MP2 files into MPC files?
If yes, does such a program already exist? (similar to mpc2sv8, the Musepack SV7 to SV8 converter)

Motivation: I'm asking this because I have many gigabytes of MP2 files stored on my hard disks. These are captured DVB radio broadcasts in 320kbps 48kHz stereo MPEG-1 Layer II format. I would like to save some storage space here and hope that Musepack with its more efficient lossless coding method can produce smaller files than MP2.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
smack
post Sep 30 2009, 10:23
Post #2

Member No.: 1046

I'm still unsure whether the lossless conversion is possible or not.

By chance I've just found this ancient thread where Frank Klemm stated that he had modified an MPC encoder to emit MP2 bitstreams. Apparently it was never released to the public.

What does that tell us about the internal differences between the two codecs? Can the bitstreams be converted? (mp2 <-> mpc)

Does anybody know more about this?
+Quote Post
а.п.т.
post Oct 1 2009, 09:17
Post #3

Member No.: 65946

QUOTE (smack @ Sep 30 2009, 12:23) *
By chance I've just found this ancient thread where Frank Klemm stated that he had modified an MPC encoder to emit MP2 bitstreams. Apparently it was never released to the public.

What does that tell us about the internal differences between the two codecs? Can the bitstreams be converted? (mp2 <-> mpc)

Maybe Franc Klemm is the one who can throw some light on this?

This post has been edited by а.п.т.: Oct 1 2009, 09:17
+Quote Post
Jan S.
post Oct 1 2009, 13:07
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (а.п.т. @ Oct 1 2009, 10:17) *
QUOTE (smack @ Sep 30 2009, 12:23) *

Maybe Franc Klemm is the one who can throw some light on this?

Unfortunately as far as we know he doesn't read this forum anymore.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 19:41