IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Audio Video Eng Student with some questions!, Can you help me further my understanding?!
karmabobby
post Jun 15 2009, 16:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70698

Hi there I have a few questions regarding some technical aspects of Vorbis(part of a course I have to resit unfortuantely). These weren't very well documented in my lecture material so I will try and express my understanding of the processes.

One issue I am having is having a technical explanation for Vorbis being an asymmetric codec.

I know that an asymmetric codec is a codec that takes longer to encode than to decode. Vorbis has a complex coder that is based on psychoacoustics and a simple fast decoder. Can anyone provide me with links to technical information on these parts of the coding process? I have been looking but to no avail.

The windowing functions in Vorbis can also be asymmetrical. Is this because of the MDCT's lapping properties? I have also read that this is also due to the the variation in the block size as well. The block size can vary from frame to frame, this can result in the window being asymmetrical with the shorter window determining the number of samples falling under the window?

if anyone can correct me on these aspects or provide me with links to technical documentation. I would be very grateful!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 14:03