IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Ceramic Cartridges and RIAA Equalization, Plus: Sneak preview of Knowzy samples page
Knowzy
post Apr 26 2009, 20:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 55856

The upcoming page* showcasing the USB turntables samples I've been posting put a renewed focus on ceramic cartridges. This caused me to update the case against ceramic carts in the turntable guide.

I added a new section on RIAA equalization and would appreciate a review for technically accuracy. In particular, I would like you to pick apart this declaration:

QUOTE (USB Turntable Guide)
Ceramic cartridges don't require a pre-amplifier yet still approximate the RIAA curve. You might say that ceramic cartridges equalize the audio signal organically: They rely on their chemical composition to implement the RIAA curve.

Am I over simplifying? Are there capacitors or other components down the line that also affect the equalization of the signal or is it truly all in the cart itself?

As always, I appreciate your insights.

-Jeff

* Sneak preview. This is the only link on the Internet leading to that page.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Knowzy
post May 2 2009, 03:38
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 55856

Thanks everyone helping me make sense of this. I think I have a paragraph that will work without having to get into too much detail.

The link goes back to this thread in case my readers want to learn more.

I also rewrote the next paragraph in the section based on what I've learned here.

Ceramic cartridges do not require a pre-amplifier because they respond to record grooves differently. Ceramic cartridges are less sensitive to higher frequencies and progressively reduce their amplitude. The result is a rather imperfect approximation of the RIAA curve.

The graph of the RIAA curve reveals perhaps the most serious flaw with how ceramic cartridges implement it: A bend in the mid-range. This bend starts roughly in the 5th octave and extends to C in the 7th octave (500hz to 2100hz). Ceramic cartridges can't account for this bend and your music suffers.

QUOTE (2Bdecided @ May 1 2009, 04:27) *
I'd put "Don't use a ceramic cartridge - they're crap in many ways."

It's hard to miss that sentiment in the USB turntable guide. It's everywhere. In particular, any turntable with a ceramic cartridge has a warning label that links to the "Avoid Ceramic Cartridges" section.

The section talks about poor frequency response and high VTF. What was missing was a discussion on how poorly ceramics perform RIAA equalization.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread, the guide offers one more reason to stay from these things.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 07:06