IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Any hard data for high bitrate fetish?
How many (killer) samples can you personally ABX?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
rpp3po
post Mar 30 2009, 21:17
Post #1

Group: Developer
Member No.: 4961

Yes there are very few killer samples. That's the reason some people encode whole collections at very high data rates. I wonder if this is necessary. And the probability for artifacts generally decreases while bitrate increases. But only up to a certain point. Most "killer" samples I know are codec specific, then they fail even for the highest bitrates. So increasing bitrate above a certain point does not decrease the probability for artifacts any more.

Now variable bitrate encoding modes suck up more bandwidth when needed, but maintain very reasonable averages over a collection. So I allege: there is NO reason for going above a certain constant-quality setting, even for killer samples. Either the codec fails at any bitrate or it is transparent for anything above a certain setting.

In my experience the sweet spot are the ~192kbit/s average AAC settings (Q127 and q .5-55) and probably V2 for MP3 (haven't tested the latter myself).

Is there any contradicting evidence?

If you vote other than '0' please include a reference to the sample in question.

EDIT: Editing finished. Accidently I touched the enter key before the poll setup was complete. Please vote again.

This post has been edited by rpp3po: Mar 30 2009, 21:58
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 17:39