IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Equalizer for Pandora?, Seeking a Way to Apply DSP to Pandora.com
Iggy64
post Mar 29 2009, 01:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39723

I typically use XMPlay to play streaming audio, although I sometimes still use Winamp. In either case, I often apply some equalization, and occasionally a touch of reverb to get the sound I want from the audio equipment in my family room.

Now I've started streaming Pandora quite a bit, as it gives me a great chance to learn new artists that suit my tastes. Unfortunately, the specialized "stations" in Pandora apparently prevent it from being played through XMPlay, Winamp, or any other popular player. Pandora's interface isn't too bad, but it does not offer any equalizer or reverb.

Does anyone know of a way to apply equalization and/or reverb to audio streamed from a web site like Pandora? Is there some sort of software that can be run in the background to shape the sound card's output? Freeware would be especially nice, of course.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Iggy64
post Mar 31 2009, 13:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 39723

I continue to seek a solution for processing the sound of streaming audio that must be played on the source's web-page player (like Pandora). Apparently, some sound cards have their own set-up menus that allow for this. Mine does not. So I'm still hunting for a stand-alone EQ/reverb program. I found a few, but most were more expensive than I can justify right now. I just came across Real-Time EQ (RTEQ v 4.10), which is a freebie. It appears that development of the product ceased in 2006. One site that describes it is

http://www.afreecodec.com/2053/realtime-equalizer/

It does not offer any reverb. I know that many people don't like tampering with their music using DSP, especially reverb. But I find that low-bit-rate streams (like Pandora) often sound much better with just a touch of reverb, and a bit of low-end boost.

If I don't hear of any other options for real-time stand-alone DSP, I'll probably give RTEQ a try. It would at least give me the EQ.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 22:09